One out of eight stopped laying! Can't figure out why!

Raychul

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Is this just a thing that sometimes happens?

I have a flock of 8 birds. Everyone is laying except for our Blue Wheaton Amerecauna. She lay a handful of times, maybe 8-10, and then stopped.

She is still doing the submissive squat. We have seen no evidence of shell, or anything to suggest that she might be eating them. We looked all over the yard to try to find a huge stack of eggs, if she's been laying in a secret spot...no luck!

This has been going on for several months now. She seems perfectly healthy otherwise! Hoots and hollers right along with the rest of the gals.

She is, I think, lowest on the pecking order. Could the other birds be forcing her to stop? Should I be worried? She's about a year old now.

Thank you!!!

It might be stress, as that can sometimes affect a hen's egg-laying abilities. Also, although very rare, hens do occasionally stop laying for no apparent reason. This, however, is very unlikely. If it's been going on for a few months, I doubt she's egg-bound, although otherwise it would be a possibility. Try adding more calcium in her diet. That might help. We use oyster shells.

From my experiences Americana are sporadic egg layers. They were bred for egg color not necessarily production, so to me what you 're describing sounds normal for the breed.

Welcome to BYC @Raychul !

Ameraucana, (most likely an Easter Egger if it came from a hatchery) can definitely be sporadic layers..

If you free range you might consider cooping them up for a week or so to see for sure if she's laying or not.
Low birds especially may have found a better place to lay during the 'spring surge'.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

But first, try examining her vent and pelvis:
Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones 'F-F') on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.
(Spacing is relative with chickens size and humans finger size.)

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies! I'll check her vent and go from there!

Back
Top Bottom