One out of six of my baby chicks won't stop chirping

Happy_Chicken

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2021
I have 6 baby chicks around 2 weeks old but one chick won't stop chirping. All the other chicks have soft lower chirps when they're relaxed but this one has a loud consistent chirp which won't seem to stop. I checked her butt but it isn't pasty or clogged up. Could something be wrong with her?

Is it just the chirping? No other behavior issues? I purchased a chick friday that would not stop chirping and looked like it was laboring for breath. I didn't make it through the first night. The only thing I can think is maybe it is stressed.

I’ve had 2 chicks that chirped a lot like that, 1 had deformed feet that didn’t correct with chick shoes. I think her feet were just too painful, she didn’t eat or drink enough. I took her to food and water but she got progressively weaker and died at 1 week old.
The other also didn’t eat or drink properly, seemed to be always cold and so I think she didn’t come out from under the heat plate often enough for food or drink. I took her to food and water a lot and tried feeding her watery egg yolk, sugar water and vitamin water but she also died at 1 week old.
I hope someone has some advice for you that will help. In my case though, I think my 1st chick was in too much pain from her feet to focus on food and water (so she just became more and more miserable). And I think the 2nd chick had something wrong internally - it seemed like she couldn’t find the food, water or heat no matter how many times she was shown. I didn’t have high hopes for her 😢

Occasionally you do get a loud one. The littlest in my last batch was always complaining but she has turned out fine. As long as it is eating and drinking and active then I wouldn't worry.

Does it stop chirping when you give them attention? Sometimes one decides you are its mother and if it can't see you it has to call for you.

Occasionally you do get a loud one. The littlest in my last batch was always complaining but she has turned out fine. As long as it is eating and drinking and active then I wouldn't worry.

Does it stop chirping when you give them attention? Sometimes one decides you are its mother and if it can't see you it has to call for you.
Thanks, she does seem to calm down after a few seconds of holding her and she'll stop chirping for awhile after i put her down so maybe you're right about her just wanting a little attention.

Im
I’ve had 2 chicks that chirped a lot like that, 1 had deformed feet that didn’t correct with chick shoes. I think her feet were just too painful, she didn’t eat or drink enough. I took her to food and water but she got progressively weaker and died at 1 week old.
The other also didn’t eat or drink properly, seemed to be always cold and so I think she didn’t come out from under the heat plate often enough for food or drink. I took her to food and water a lot and tried feeding her watery egg yolk, sugar water and vitamin water but she also died at 1 week old.
I hope someone has some advice for you that will help. In my case though, I think my 1st chick was in too much pain from her feet to focus on food and water (so she just became more and more miserable). And I think the 2nd chick had something wrong internally - it seemed like she couldn’t find the food, water or heat no matter how many times she was shown. I didn’t have high hopes for her 😢
i'm sorry about your baby chicks. Mine all seem to be doing pretty good and i hope nothing is wrong with my chick. We got them about 4 days ago after one of our older chickens got sick and passed away. Best of luck for you and all your future chicken adventures :)

I have 6 baby chicks around 2 weeks old but one chick won't stop chirping. All the other chicks have soft lower chirps when they're relaxed but this one has a loud consistent chirp which won't seem to stop. I checked her butt but it isn't pasty or clogged up. Could something be wrong with her?
Ah, some are like that. They all have their own little personalities just like people! Lol
Ever met a person who just couldn’t control their mouth? Lol
Spend a weekend in New York City. Lol

Back
Top Bottom