One shell less egg and one regular egg, laid hours apart

MollyFaith

Hatching
Feb 27, 2020
We have 8 brown egg layers just under 6 months old. One of the barred rocks laid a shell less egg, and hours later laid a regular egg?! Is this because she is a new egg layer? She is our most social hen, and we were worried when she seemed unwell. Thankfully, she is now back to her normal self. Any ideas are appreciated. be well and stay safe.

This is normal newbie behavior. My RIR did that this summer for about 10 days (though the double eggs weren’t daily, just most of those days). I think she ended up laying 12/13 eggs (shelled and shell-less) in those 10 days and I was worried, too! However, she worked the kinks out within a few days of that and is laying 4-5 eggs a week, now.

This is normal newbie behavior. My RIR did that this summer for about 10 days (though the double eggs weren’t daily, just most of those days). I think she ended up laying 12/13 eggs (shelled and shell-less) in those 10 days and I was worried, too! However, she worked the kinks out within a few days of that and is laying 4-5 eggs a week, now.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom