One soft shell egg today

jayceesue

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
North Central Mississippi
My egg laying has been very consistent (4 hens, 3-4 eggs daily) for the past several weeks. Then two days ago, I had two eggs and yesterday, one egg. I went to the coop this morning and found this one. Up on the roosting area above the nesting boxes (my girls always lay in the nesting boxes). So, should I be concerned? My hens are approx 1-1/2 years old.
I feed layer crumble and have oyster shell in a separate dish

Attachments

• A6B1B6C9-9D06-4EB9-9833-C73934348499.jpeg
    A6B1B6C9-9D06-4EB9-9833-C73934348499.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m going to hope it’s just a one-off since I am supplying oyster shell and my hens free range in a fenced 2 acres every day. I appreciate your response!
Do you feed any treats at all?

My egg laying has been very consistent (4 hens, 3-4 eggs daily) for the past several weeks. Then two days ago, I had two eggs and yesterday, one egg. I went to the coop this morning and found this one. Up on the roosting area above the nesting boxes (my girls always lay in the nesting boxes). So, should I be concerned? My hens are approx 1-1/2 years old.
I feed layer crumble and have oyster shell in a separate dish
I have a BO who lays softer shelled eggs every so often. I know she eats oyster but I don't think she absorbs it well. That could be the problem. If it only happens rarely just might be a glitch. Chickens are like us individuals. They are not machines or computer that work on rote. KWIM. Good luck.

It’s always a good idea to give a calcium boost to any hen (or pullet) who lays a soft or shell-less egg.

You can use a human-type calcium product.
Caltrate+ D3 (or any generic version thereof) is a good one to use because it is quickly & easily absorbed. Dosage is 1 full tablet the first day & 1/2 tablet each day for 3 more days or until you know for sure she is laying normally.
If you have Tums (antacid tablets) you can give those instead—dose is 2 tabs day one, and 1 tablet each day for next 3 days as above.

Giving calcium at the first hint of trouble, is cheap insurance to avoid having an egg-bound hen.

Back
Top Bottom