One week old chick dead, one may be sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gossie, May 6, 2017.

1. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    I had these ten baby chicks and they are all 6-7 days old now. There was a White Crested Black Polish, which constantly was getting pasty butt. This morning, she got it again and I was cleaning her up when I noticed she was just sleeping there and when I put her down, she just stood there, I had to put her under the brooder myself. I went out and got back home a few hours later and she was lying on the floor of the bin. I thought she was dead, but when I picked her up, she slightly moved and I noticed she was breathing. I made some electrolytes and gave them to her through a dropper, and she was moving her head around to get it and opening her mouth, but then suddenly, she died. I have a Black Frizzle Cochin bantam chick who was in the same brooder as the polish. When I move the brooder to check on her, she stands there, while the other chicks run around. She is drinking by herself, but I haven't seen her eat this afternoon. All the other chicks are acting normal. She walks around a bit and when I moved her to the waterer to drink, she took a sip and ran back underneath the brooder herself. She has not had pasty butt ever. When I pick her up, she closes her eyes while in my hands. I don't know if I should be concerned, or if I am just paranoid after the polish died. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is your chick doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by