one week old chick is weak and her beak is filled with fluid *update!

ChickadeeLover

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
My one week old Americana who is in with 26 other chicks is acting strange, she is sleeping alot and she is weak and her beak is filled with clear fluid what should I do? also she is swallowing more than normal

Last edited:
Well, I'm no expert by any means but I do know this much. You need to separate her from the other chicks. Give her her own heat source as well as food and water. You might try giving her crumbled egg yolk for strength. I know there a medications people recommend for sick chicks but I can't tell you what they are for the life of me! Hopefully, somebody will come along soon and tell you. I also know that a couple of tablespoons of organic vinegar and a crushed clove of garlic in a GALLON of water is good to help them build up their immunity. However, that being said, I'm not sure that's a good thing for chicks as young as yours. People???

I wish I could help you more but... At least she won't be trampled by 48 little feet and can eat and rest at her leisure. I hope somebody will come along and give you further advice. I have no idea what the clear liquid in her beak could be. Hoping and praying for the best!

Thanks I hope so to, I researched it but I couldn't find anything. The fluid has dried up a little and is crusting on her beak

I think her lungs are filled with fluid (can chickens get pneumonia?) I am keeping her warm and last night I gave her some cooked mashed egg yolk, she is eating drinking and pooping but weak I didn't think she would survive the night but she did. I am praying for the best!

Yes, chickens can get pneumonia (I think air sac disease may be aform of pneumonia). I had a six week old little chick that had took antibiotic (Baytril?) injections for two weeks and lived separately for a week. She's fine now, but certainly could have gone either way.

BTW, the polyvisol kept her going until I brought her to the vet. Thanks DLHUnicorn!

I have Doxycyline (a respiratory anitibiotic for birds) can I give it to my chick?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom