One week old chick with small amount of runny poo on rear end

GG Brit

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
I have five 1-week old chicks and one of them has a streak of runny poo on her. It is not solid so think it is not pasty butt and she is eating and drinking OK. Not sure what action to take. Can anyone help? Thank you.

It is the right age and when it dries, it will be pasted vent.
Just keep an eye on it.
I'm a believer in probiotics to preempt pasted vent.
If the gut biome is not in sync, bad things can happen. Newly hatched chicks have no means to achieve a diverse healthy gut biome.
Chicks with mother hens get that from their mothers.
I both incubate and let hens hatch chicks. For artificial incubation, I add Gro-2-Max to all chicks first water.

It is the right age and when it dries, it will be pasted vent.
Just keep an eye on it.
I'm a believer in probiotics to preempt pasted vent.
If the gut biome is not in sync, bad things can happen. Newly hatched chicks have no means to achieve a diverse healthy gut biome.
Chicks with mother hens get that from their mothers.
I both incubate and let hens hatch chicks. For artificial incubation, I add Gro-2-Max to all chicks first water.
Thanks very much. I’m putting small quantity of organic apple cider in water. Do you recommend I include Gro-2-max? I’ve had them a week direct from the hatchery. I think you’re saying the poo will probably solidify and cause a pasted vent but to wait. Is it likely to drop off on its own accord? First time chick mother here so have done a lot of research but this is first real world experience. Appreciate your time and response.

Possibly fermenting the feed could help with the gut lining and provide more compact poopsies. It sure helped my flock with runny poops.

Thanks very much. I’m putting small quantity of organic apple cider in water. Do you recommend I include Gro-2-max? I’ve had them a week direct from the hatchery. I think you’re saying the poo will probably solidify and cause a pasted vent but to wait. Is it likely to drop off on its own accord? First time chick mother here so have done a lot of research but this is first real world experience. Appreciate your time and response.
All the chicks may experience some feces issues. It may fall off but you want to stay vigilant daily.
A good probiotic formulated specifically for chickens will improve digestion and growth.
The raw ACV may help but the good bacteria and yeasts populating the gut will improve overall health.

Back
Top Bottom