One year ago today..... a rescuers story

Quote:
I have found this to be true as well. And in this old guys case it sounds like his mission was accomplished since your rescue has changed direction towards rescuing the older dogs.
thumbsup.gif

What doesn't make a lot of sense is that they were more worried about following the rules than putting him through surgery in bad health. Sometimes it really makes you want to bang your head against a wall.
he.gif

Great job with him! I can tell he truley touched your heart.
hugs.gif

I did my first rescue last march. Im a big purebred dog person and so is my family. My best friend is huge into mutts and rescue. I went to the pound with her to help her pick out a new dog. And it kinda stuck with me. Im always going to pounds and always walk out crying or getting kicked out when i complain about how the dogs are kept. So i don't go anymore. I was trying to decide on my next breed for a buddy for my lab pup. I was driving in town one day and decided to go to the pound for the heck of it. Well i found a pit bull there i liked. So i want home and was talking to my hubby about him. Hes not big on pitts they make him nervous. He agreed to go see him though. Well we got there and got him out and found out hes a cat killer. Okay not the dog for us. We look at almost all of the dogs there. I think the people were sick of us. Well all of a sudden this little black and white puppy appears. My DH just melted. So we took her home with us. When we were doing paperwork, one of the lady told me that she had been about with her whole litter to be put down at this other pound. Simply because they were black and its hard to adopt out black dogs. I about died. Thankful the shelter we got her from is a no kill and heard about them. Now after almost a year and over a thousand dollars of stuff she has destroyed. Shes finally blossoming into a wonderful girl. Will i adopt again i really don't know. Thats all DH wants to do but old habits are hard to kill. We got her on Kiowa's first birthday. Shes his best friend in the whole wide world.

What a wonderful story!
3 of my 4 dogs are rescues, as was my old Tervuren girl who passed away 3 years ago. You don't have to have mutts to rescue; so many purebred dogs are ending up in rescue these days. My oldest is 14.5 and not long for this world. I know that when she is gone, another dog in need will come into my life when I least expect it. Hopefully a pit or Belgian, but most likely a mutt. I could never live without dogs in my life, or, I wouldn't want to .

22798_the_pack_all_5.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, not all rescues are mixed breed. I have 2 nearly show quality bassets at the house right now that were pulled from kill shelters.
I'm only taking bassets, pure breed, when I started this I took everything when I had funds and room.

Back
Top Bottom