Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
well.. i heard that Pea comb is a recessive allele with pure genotype e.g pp.but a wulnut shaped comb is heterogenous allele Pp and Saw like combs are Dominantly PP.
i dont know is that true or not.so no contraversy with pea comb.
well my main concern is about this my silver colombian has a pea comb but my golden one has a comb like this.

now i want to know 1- can we call this rooster a Brahma and second is that is there any way to get pea comb generation out of this man or not?
thanks.
Pea and rose comb are dominant. If the bird has both a pea gene and a rose gene it will produce a walnut comb. Because a pea comb and a rose comb are dominant, it requires only one copy to show. A rose combed bird one of two combinations of genes, Rrpp or RRpp. A pea combed bird has one of two combinations, rrPp or rrPP. A walnut combed bird has the combination of RrPp, RRPp, RRPP or RrPP and a straight combed bird has rrpp. You'll have to run punnett squares to figure out what combinations can come from the breedings that you are considering.

Pea and rose comb are dominant. If the bird has both a pea gene and a rose gene it will produce a walnut comb. Because a pea comb and a rose comb are dominant, it requires only one copy to show. A rose combed bird one of two combinations of genes, Rrpp or RRpp. A pea combed bird has one of two combinations, rrPp or rrPP. A walnut combed bird has the combination of RrPp, RRPp, RRPP or RrPP and a straight combed bird has rrpp. You'll have to run punnett squares to figure out what combinations can come from the breedings that you are considering.
hopefully im familiar with genetic basics:)
sure i wil try a pea combed hen with this men and try to extract a pure line of peas.
btw how is the style and appearance of the rooster?i think its Black pattrened goldn colombian.according to http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
If I could avoid breeding these birds with the soft vulture hocks I would, but the strain of birds with the proper feathered hocks have other genetic defects so I'm looking for an outcross for them. As with many color projects it's not easy to find good birds for an outcross.
So I think I'll play it safe by doing the cross but I'll keep those birds as a separate line till I see how they turn out. I don't mind filling the freezer with 'mistakes' and if I keep good records maybe we can all learn more about the soft VHs. Meanwhile I'll keep working with the 'good hocked' strain separately and try to work out their problems too.

So sorry you lost your breeder male. I had a hen expire in front of me a few weeks ago from what I suspect was a heart attack. She also had the purple face/comb so your findings of an enlarged heart are interesting. She was large also, 9.5 pounds at death and she really hadn't eaten much during the week. I've lost other really big birds to suspected heart attacks over the years so I wonder if there's some link there?

how are you doing on your brahma projects
Are you asking one of us in particular or just in general?
smile.png

just in general, I have been busy working on building a house at the location I moved too...funny but my new hen house got finished before the house got started, guess that tells you my priority. I was the guy that started this thread and I am glad it is serving the needs of those with brahma projects seemingly well.

Sounds like you've been busy. My project (gold partridge) is going okay, have had some serious setbacks and some not so serious setbacks. I'm starting over this spring since I lost all of my birds last spring to predators. I have a very small flock, so when a predator gets them they tend to get them all. I'll be putting a dark over golds in about a week. I have a really nice dark cockerel that I hope will lengthen and widen the back ends and improve the head. After I see what comes of this first breeding, I'll reevaluate and move forward, I hope.

I finally located an unrelated trio of silver laced. Hopefully they do not carry the VH gene. Seems like every batch of eggs I order and hatch, I get a least 1 chick with Vulture Hocks. Anyone know where I can purchase SL or GL eggs or chicks? Seems like the focus has shifted to the Blue/Gold Partridge color pattern.

I finally located an unrelated trio of silver laced. Hopefully they do not carry the VH gene. Seems like every batch of eggs I order and hatch, I get a least 1 chick with Vulture Hocks. Anyone know where I can purchase SL or GL eggs or chicks? Seems like the focus has shifted to the Blue/Gold Partridge color pattern.
You can check on the American Brahma Club website under breeders to see if anyone there is working on SL/GL. I know that High View Farms in Texas has gold laced, but I think that they are sold out right now....you can check with them though. I can't guarantee that they don't carry the VH gene, you'll have to ask her. Also, Shamrock farms in Wisconsin carries laced brahmas. Those are the only two that are in my brain right now.

You an also join the American Brahma Club facebook page and ask if anyone has them for sale. I'm not sure that they will let you post an ISO ad, you are supposed to be a member of the ABC in order to post ads. You can join the ABC (really very reasonably priced) from the American Brahma Club website.

Back
Top Bottom