Online Large Fowl Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Coach, it makes me tired just to think about all that! I did manage to deworm the two bucklings and the doe I wanted to do today. Just stuck 4 dozen eggs in the Bator, more to pop in tomorrow . The sale at Tractor supply was the last for the year, so it is back to Scott's Hill sale next time. At least there you sell everything you take along.

Hi everybody. I am new to this site and some what chickens, I had chickens growing up on the farm but never showed them. My daughter and son want to show chickens, they wanted to show cows and pigs but living in town now they cant do that because my neighbors would not like us lol. I would like to know what kind of breeds are best for showing and are good egg layers? Thank you.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I don't show chickens, but most purebreds are eligible I believe. As for egg laying, Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks are popular layers of large brown eggs. You might want to consider showing bantams if you have limited space and close neighbors. :)

Quote:
With my experience I suggest showing silkie. Check with bobbi porto of indigoegg.com. She has top notch silkie. Hope this helps.

Today I went and delivered a goat , then brought home my Silver Sussex. Of course, then I had to go work on finishing their run. It was only in the eighties, but very sunny so I worked up a good sweat. Got the perch up near the nest boxes, waterer installed . Run is done, but need to finish the apron. Then the adjacent run needs finishing. Did cover the pop hole with plywood so coons can't get in from the other side to grab through the wire.
Had people buying eggs, interested in chickens later and two of DH's friends dropped by. So the day flew by and we got a sprinkling of rain ! More, more, we need more!

Hey Hot,i'll take those silver sussex off your hands so you won't have to build more pens,I'm just saying. You really work to much,i think you should give them to me!! Boy they look great!!!

Thanks Coach, but I think I will keep them. Not many of this breed around from what I read. I worried all night that some varmint would dig under and get the girls, but they were in the coop when I checked, so should be ok. I hope! Of course, as soon as the mail runs I will be back down there to finish the job.
The lady that I delivered the goat to is really happy with her! Curly is a dear girl and I would have kept her under other circumstances . At least I know she will be well cared for:)

So I went down to work on the coop apron. The goats followed, and started climbing all over the mule. Bella was on the front seat, then right up in the bed. They all know spilled feed can be found in there. I took out the key so they wouldn't take it. I got the trenches dug, wire stapled on and buried. The goats knocked over the water jugs twice. Then Buttons knocked over a tray with a bunch of poultry staples! Ugh, I was aggravated! Then she decided to investigate the "horn". It had no horn, so I tied a rubber ducky to a string. I squeeze it to get the goats moving out of my way. Anyway, she nibbled it until it squeaked three times! Cracked me up. So after a while, I found two eggs and had no bucket so I put them in the glove compartment with the front down. Do you know , the goat went up and got in the front seat and broke my lavender orpington egg?! Oh, that did it! She was sent packing after that. Fried egg sandwich for lunch. Pretty tasty, but I would rather have the chick.
Oh, and I forgot to add that I built the frame for a cabinet , going to put a recycled sink with a drain in the barn. I'll put it in my insulated room, so I have a place to dispose of nasty chick water this winter. And cut the counter top to fit . Also made a frame for the next panel of the run for the other side of the new coop. Plus I painted plywood for 2 signs and a hospital stall in the back garage.
Tomorrow I need to buy gas and more lumber, maybe some fence posts, chicken wire....

Last edited by a moderator:
YIKES! Last week I bought pressure treated 2x4x8s fir $1.98 each. Today I started to pile some on the cart and noticed they are up to $2.98???!!!
th.gif
A 50% increase! I left them there. The cashier said the price is going up again soon! So hurry and get yours before the price goes through the roof. I bought two rolls of chicken wire , and got some free runners, those short boards they stack lumber on. Bought a gallon of exterior paint for $7.
One of the goats was trying to push through a gate and her collar got stuck, so I guess she spent the day there. Looks like Queenie is coming in season , great, now both she and the cat need to get spayed. My other cat needs a nipple removed, it is abnormal. I called the vet, it is more to get a nipple off than to get a cat spayed, like twice as much!what??? That makes no sense . My other big dog needs to go in for his rabies shot, I really need to get a collar on him to get him washed. He hates it with a passion.
And I need to fill
loft with hay. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket, I need to win to pay for all this. Sent out eggs today to 202Roosterlane, and a plant to Em.
Tomorrow the guy is supposed to replace the water hydrant and the kitchen faucet. I will believe it when I see him. He didn't show up last time.
Oh, and I got a call from the MD office, my stress test was "normal". So what's with the pains and palpitations, and heart rate in the low 40's??
idunno.gif

I am dying for some chicks to hatch! The bators are filling up. Can you believe I was thinking of another cabinet Bator? I am beyond hope of normalcy I think .
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom