Only 3 or 4 chicks/hens wanted - Meyer Hatchery Smal Order Program

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Montana-Hens, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    This will be my 1st time with chicks.

I only want 3 or 4 hens and am looking at the Meyer Hatchery Small Order Program. Pricey, but can order what I want,

I live in SW Montana and have been told that the local feed store orders just a bunch of straight run...my luck I'd get mostly roos and have to figure out a way to get rid of them.

Any thoughts from folks who have done small orders; is this the way to go, or do I hold off and hope to find a regional show and buy a few ladies that way.

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I have never ordered a small order but I have ordered from meyer. I really love them, good company. They have great chicks. Their sexing is awesome, they claim 90% but with two of my orders they were at 100%. They extra chick though were rare roos and I sold those ones easily enough.
    By the way welcome!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I ordered three chicks last year, and they are just starting to lay! My concern would be cold stress killing them. you might want to wait

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree..... if you only want to get 3 wait until it warms up in late spring to get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by