Only 7 out of 26.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Foghorn, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I just picked up the chicks. Looks like most had died very early in the trip. Amazing these few made it.

1 Black Giant
    1 Barred Rock
    3 Buff Orpington
    2 Black Australorps

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  2. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    I'm sorry for the ones you lost, glad that the few made it. Keep them safe and warm.

3. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Man you've had a tough go of it chick wise Foghorn...

I'm glad you have the starts of a crew though...cute little buggers.....

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I can't believe this happened again. At least you have had some survive this time. Mcmurray should give you special attention since this happened twice.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I agree! So glad you got these little guys to start out with.

6. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Oh! I'm so glad some fuzzies made it for you! Enjoy those peeps!

7. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    That's so sad! I ordered from Mcmurray last spring but had wonderful results. Maybe ordering a little later in the spring? I see you're in Conn. so that may be the problem. I waited until April 22 to get my chicks and by then the weather had warmed up a bit. I'm in upstate NY.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  8. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    So sorry! Atleast a few made it this time! Will they maybe replace the others and send when it's warmer? Good Luck!

9. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I called McMurray. They will replace. But it really had little to do with temps on my end. Temps in Iowa when they shipped these were very low. Much lower then here in CT. They had a bad snowstorm also. My chicks that didn't make it died most likely the first night. Decomposition was advanced. It wouldn't have mattered if they were being sent to a much warmer place.
    I will say this. I have seen chicks come through my office every year for over 20 years. Until this year I had never seen the deaths I have seen. In fact, this is the first year we have seen ANY deaths! We are as surprised as anyone. We have seen chicks and live animals come thru all times of the year.
    Believe me, if I had seen many die I wouldn't have ordered, and I doubt McMurray would make any profit if they had to replace the majority of chicks they sell this year if they all just die in transit.

My question is,
    If I wait now, how will the much younger chicks do when I put them in with these I got today?

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry, Foggy...
    You might be better off getting older, started birds, if you want more later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by