Only Duck Worries

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been gone so long! I've been working on the yard a lot and taking a much needed break from most social media and the like.
My little rescue wood duck, Jackie, decided to move out into the wild and now my sweet Australian Spotted drake, Downey, is an only duck now (his mate died back in November from a reproductive issue). He chases off all the grown mallards that try and come visit, plus I can't exactly kidnap one for him to hang with on a regular basis. A raccoon got into a mallard nest in our yard and the hen abandoned it, and I tried to incubate the remaining eggs, but they didn't make it. Three days ago, my neighbors found a newborn wood duck chick and I took it in, but it only lived for about 36 hours. It's been kinda depressing on the nurturing front, but, more than that, I'm worried about returning to work now that I've been vaccinated for Covid and won't be able to spend all my time with Downey. Alabama is an unnecessarily difficult place to find ducks, especially call ducks or other little bantams. If I had the money I'd open my own duck farm at this point!

Do you have a mirror in with Downey? Have you tried craigs list for Calls etc? or your state thread? So sorry your Jackie flew off and left Downey alone. Poor boy.
Downey does have two mirrors and he loves to admire his reflection in the shop vac. 😂 It was sad that Jackie left, but she talks to us daily and visits almost once a day, and I'm very proud of her! She's a happy little social girl and fit right in with the local ducks. Craigslist, feed stores, facebook, even the man I bought Downey and his mate Hemmie from have all been a bust. I don't have any productions to work on at the moment, so at the moment, it's not a crisis. I'm trying to think positive about work in the future, lol.

Attachments

• 20210511_142555.jpg
    20210511_142555.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 12
I don't know if you're interested, but there is a guy here in Panama City selling Australian Spotted pairs. I am waiting for ducklings from him, but I know he has adults for sale, too.
Yes! I would be very interested in Australian Spotted ducklings. I had a pair of them originally, and would love to raise another one or two. Downey could show them the ropes. It took him a few weeks to warm up to Jackie, but they eventually became great friends. I also have been dying for an excuse to go back to Panama City, even for a day! I'm wary of adult ducks, because I raised Downey and Jackie to be very snuggly, and want to continue that dynamic. Jackie even comes by for snuggles from me and my mom occasionally!

Attachments

• 20210429_120932.jpg
    20210429_120932.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210419_154204.jpg
    20210419_154204.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 11
Yes! I would be very interested in Australian Spotted ducklings. I had a pair of them originally, and would love to raise another one or two. Downey could show them the ropes. It took him a few weeks to warm up to Jackie, but they eventually became great friends. I also have been dying for an excuse to go back to Panama City, even for a day! I'm wary of adult ducks, because I raised Downey and Jackie to be very snuggly, and want to continue that dynamic. Jackie even comes by for snuggles from me and my mom occasionally!

I haven't heard from him yet on their hatching, it was supposed to be this week, so not sure what's going on. I've at least found some black east indies to go with my single AS duckling, so that she has some friends to grow up with.

I finally got in touch with the man I got Downey from! He should have some snowy call chicks and spot chicks in about a month. Now, I just have to figure out which to get to hang out with Downey. It will definitely be a process to get them introduced, but we went through it with him and Jackie, and they became besties.

Yay keep us updated.
I most definitely will. You were so much help when I was trying to integrate Jackie into the little family, I couldn't have done it without you! Can't imagine doing anything with the ducks without your help! Jackie did several fly bys this afternoon and was calling back and forth with Downey and me from the lake. She's a character!

Back
Top Bottom