1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only half the flock is laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mct01, Aug 7, 2016.

1. mct01

mct01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Lascassas, Tn
    We bought 6 ISA Browns just before Easter. We are getting 3 eggs the in same 2 hour window every day. Always 2 dark and 1 light brown egg. They have been laying for about 2 weeks now. We were wondering how long before they are all laying. They are all the same age about 20 weeks old. They are fed 16% layer pellets. They get a few pieces of watermelon or a cold ear of corn as a treat but mainly the layer pellets. They sure are fun to have around.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Probably pretty soon, but it's normal for some pullets to take longer than others. I would be feeding an all- flock feed like Flock Raiser, 20% protein, with oyster shell on the side. These are still growing babies, also trying to produce lots of eggs. Mary

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have 5 golden comets, 18 and half weeks. Two have been laying daily for a week, the first missed the day after but have been laying daily sense. I got 16 from these 2 so far. Still waiting on 3. So you're not alone. If the other 3 lay like these 2 I will be a happy camper.
    I got more coworkers and neighbors that want eggs, even 5 eggs a day won't be enough! GC[​IMG]

4. mct01

mct01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Lascassas, Tn
    I will get a bag of the flock raiser tomorrow. First time with chickens. The feed store where we buy our cattle feed said medicated chick starter for 16 weeks then to the 16% layer. Will give the new food and oyster shell a try. Here is what we are getting. Thanks for the information.[​IMG]

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    They are all different, mature at different rates.
    But getting 3 eggs a day out of 6 new hens at 20 weeks aint bad.
    When you get into full production, expect 4-6/day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by