Only one chick hatched under broody hen. Will it be sad?

hollyday67

In the Brooder
May 29, 2022
Hi Backyard Chicken folks!

Okay so I had a hen go broody and stole over 2 dozen eggs and stuffed them under her. Mistakes were made as I didn't immediately go through and toss half of them. They didn't get optimal temps I'm sure because she just had so many for a bit. There's no way she could have adequately incubated that many eggs and I just figured most died right after they started developing.

While I was skeptical any would hatch, I didn't want to break her because I have a clutch of chicks coming set to hatch on Monday and ship. I thought I could just put those under her and everyone would be happy. We did that the last time this hen went broody (this is her second clutch) and it went really well. She was a pretty good mom and her babies did well.

Well, a chick hatched. It's super cute. There's no other peeping coming from any of the other eggs. It must have hatched last night, so maybe more will hatch?? If it's alone, will it be lonely? Should I still give her the chicks coming next week? Their hatch date is Monday, so that will be 5 days in between them. I don't mind raising the chicks coming in the mail in a brooder, but I don't want that little chick to be lonely either. What do you think?

Hi Backyard Chicken folks!

Okay so I had a hen go broody and stole over 2 dozen eggs and stuffed them under her. Mistakes were made as I didn't immediately go through and toss half of them. They didn't get optimal temps I'm sure because she just had so many for a bit. There's no way she could have adequately incubated that many eggs and I just figured most died right after they started developing.

While I was skeptical any would hatch, I didn't want to break her because I have a clutch of chicks coming set to hatch on Monday and ship. I thought I could just put those under her and everyone would be happy. We did that the last time this hen went broody (this is her second clutch) and it went really well. She was a pretty good mom and her babies did well.

Well, a chick hatched. It's super cute. There's no other peeping coming from any of the other eggs. It must have hatched last night, so maybe more will hatch?? If it's alone, will it be lonely? Should I still give her the chicks coming next week? Their hatch date is Monday, so that will be 5 days in between them. I don't mind raising the chicks coming in the mail in a brooder, but I don't want that little chick to be lonely either. What do you think?
Did any more chicks hatch? I agree as long as the chick has mama hen, it should be fine. However it will be integrating on its own as it gets bigger. You could absolutely try giving another chick to the mama hen when they arrive, but I would watch and observe her behavior foe awhile after putting the new chick(s) with her. Some hens will mother any chick, but others will reject chicks that they did not hatch (and even some they do hatch). My friend had a broody and she took over mothering a group of 1.5 week old chicks that were not hers that she obviously didn’t hatch. Each hen is different. If she does act aggressively toward the new chicks, remove them immediately. As a backup plan, you could also take her chick away if that happens and raise it with the others so it will grow up in a same-age flock and will have a group to integrate with. It’s totally a personal choice, and I’m sure many people have strong opinions on what is best, but you have to do what you feel most comfortable with. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Did any more chicks hatch? I agree as long as the chick has mama hen, it should be fine. However it will be integrating on its own as it gets bigger. You could absolutely try giving another chick to the mama hen when they arrive, but I would watch and observe her behavior foe awhile after putting the new chick(s) with her. Some hens will mother any chick, but others will reject chicks that they did not hatch (and even some they do hatch). My friend had a broody and she took over mothering a group of 1.5 week old chicks that were not hers that she obviously didn’t hatch. Each hen is different. If she does act aggressively toward the new chicks, remove them immediately. As a backup plan, you could also take her chick away if that happens and raise it with the others so it will grow up in a same-age flock and will have a group to integrate with. It’s totally a personal choice, and I’m sure many people have strong opinions on what is best, but you have to do what you feel most comfortable with. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Yes, more did hatch! They’ve been staggered over several days though which makes me think she was slowly stealing eggs and adding them to her clutch. We have 4 chicks now with one currently trying to break out. I had another hen go broody on Friday, so if she stays broody I’ll put the new chicks under her at night. Thanks for your reply!

Yes, more did hatch! They’ve been staggered over several days though which makes me think she was slowly stealing eggs and adding them to her clutch. We have 4 chicks now with one currently trying to break out. I had another hen go broody on Friday, so if she stays broody I’ll put the new chicks under her at night. Thanks for your reply!
Can you send a photo? I bet their adorable

Back
Top Bottom