Only one chick

Reneebee

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
I have a "little" dilemma. I had one broody hen who only laid one egg. I let her keep it as she seemed so determined. I didn't think I would get a chick, but I did. So, I only have one chick, now 2 days old.
My chicken coop right now is a horse stall. Momma has her nest in a horse feeder which is 3 feet off the ground, or more. Chick can't get out as she is so small, and momma keeps her under her wing. I put a small dish of water and chick starter in the protected area of the feeder. The other birds don't go into that nest.

As "she" gets bigger, I am going to have to separate her from the flock...I have a rooster, and 3 other laying hens, and 3 ducks. When "she" is big enough to separate, will she do ok alone? Can I keep her with momma without momma hurting her as she gets older? Or...should I put the chick in the house alone in a safe box? This is my first home grown chick.

Thank you for your knowledge

I have a "little" dilemma. I had one broody hen who only laid one egg. I let her keep it as she seemed so determined. I didn't think I would get a chick, but I did. So, I only have one chick, now 2 days old.
My chicken coop right now is a horse stall. Momma has her nest in a horse feeder which is 3 feet off the ground, or more. Chick can't get out as she is so small, and momma keeps her under her wing. I put a small dish of water and chick starter in the protected area of the feeder. The other birds don't go into that nest.

As "she" gets bigger, I am going to have to separate her from the flock...I have a rooster, and 3 other laying hens, and 3 ducks. When "she" is big enough to separate, will she do ok alone? Can I keep her with momma without momma hurting her as she gets older? Or...should I put the chick in the house alone in a safe box? This is my first home grown chick.

Thank you for your knowledge
I would keep her with mama personally, but its up to you. I recommend getting another baby chick so she can make friends, but its up to you again.

Back
Top Bottom