Only One Guinea Hen Hatched!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelsey Santeusanio, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Kelsey Santeusanio

Kelsey Santeusanio Hatching

Aug 6, 2017
    I ordered 14 pastel guinea hen eggs on ebay, that was probably the cause of my "issue"
    I use issue lightly because there's nothing wrong with the single guinea keet that hatched. Actually she's the prettiest chick i've ever seen. Pudding Pops is her name and she's about 3 and a half months old now and she has bonded strongly to me. She will come running if I call her, waits for me for hours on the porch so I'll come out, I spend many hours outside with her because she is so needy. She is happiest sitting in my lap or shoulder pecking me painfully.
    I had 6 guinea hens last summer and they all died mysteriously except for two that I named Mean Bird and Lady Bird. We also have many chickens but P-Pops will not bond with any of them. She only likes people and will sneak in the house if she gets the chance.
    While this is adorable and I love it, is this healthy for Pudding Pops? Is there any advice on guinea hens and their natural behavior. I only have three guinea hens and they are a very very strange group of birds! Does anyone have any advice for raising guineas? I think they are the most wonderful birds!
    I have many questions about many of their behaviors and I am going to post them individually! Thank you for reading!

Abriana likes this.
  2. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    Welcome to BYC
    Pudding Pops sounds very sweet! I don't know much about guineas, but I do know lots of people have indoor chickens, sometimes just a single chicken. Normally, I would say birds would rather be outside, but Pudding Pops seems to want to come inside. You could buy chicken diapers and keep her indoors, but have a doggy door put in so she could come and go as she pleases. If you would rather her live outside, putting her in a closed run outside would help her become more accustomed to the other birds and used to living outdoors. I don't know much other about guineas, but I'm sure others will chime in.

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Songster

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    If you haven't done it yet, search for "Guinea talk" or Guineas 101". They are both excellent sources of info. Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: