Only one hen left after predator attack, how can I help her cope while I get more chickens?

NC_Quail

Would rather be gardening
Aug 28, 2021
Raleigh, North Carolina
Unfortunately, we lost one of our two hens due to a predator attack tonight. We free range our chickens and close their coop door at night. Whatever it was that attacked came early, just after dusk but before we went down there to close them up. I am now faced with the question of what to do about our remaining hen. She is unharmed as far as I can tell ( middle of the night, so hard to see), but she is now by herself. I am already shopping for some hen friends for her, but I am about to go on a camping trip so it will probably be at least a week before I can pick any up. Are there any techniques to help her cope for a while so she doesn’t freak out? She was always independent, but I feel really bad for her to be alone. Also, how should I go about integrating her with any new hens? I assume the process is different when dealing with one singular chicken (vs whole flock). Any input is appreciated.

Unfortunately, we lost one of our two hens due to a predator attack tonight. We free range our chickens and close their coop door at night. Whatever it was that attacked came early, just after dusk but before we went down there to close them up. I am now faced with the question of what to do about our remaining hen. She is unharmed as far as I can tell ( middle of the night, so hard to see), but she is now by herself. I am already shopping for some hen friends for her, but I am about to go on a camping trip so it will probably be at least a week before I can pick any up. Are there any techniques to help her cope for a while so she doesn’t freak out? She was always independent, but I feel really bad for her to be alone. Also, how should I go about integrating her with any new hens? I assume the process is different when dealing with one singular chicken (vs whole flock). Any input is appreciated.
Sorry to hear this. Integrating is essentially the same, it just may take more time. Patience is key, try to integrate SLOWLY to best prevent the other birds from ganging up on her. That's what seems to give me the best results when integrating one bird. Is she visibly stressed? You might want to give her some electrolyte(or sugar) water.

Sorry to hear this. Integrating is essentially the same, it just may take more time. Patience is key, try to integrate SLOWLY to best prevent the other birds from ganging up on her. That's what seems to give me the best results when integrating one bird. Is she visibly stressed? You might want to give her some electrolyte(or sugar) water.
She mostly seemed shocked. She wasn’t exactly happy about us picking her up (she seems to have a second sense about predator attacks and goes to hide in a tree before they occur). I will give her some sugar water in the morning, but how do you suggest I get her to drink it? Should I just add some sugar to the waterer?

She mostly seemed shocked. She wasn’t exactly happy about us picking her up (she seems to have a second sense about predator attacks and goes to hide in a tree before they occur). I will give her some sugar water in the morning, but how do you suggest I get her to drink it? Should I just add some sugar to the waterer?
Thats what I would do. Mix some sugar into warm water and just put that into her waterer...probably would have to change it out regularly though...

Thats all I have, hopefully others will give more tips.

I agree that you should treat her for shock. You can give her Gatorade. I would also keep her in the run tomorrow with food and water nearby. If she doesn't want to leave the coop bring the food and water to her in there. she might be a little traumatized as far as free ranging for a few days. I wouldn't worry about getting new hens until she is confident again because adding new chickens can be stressful as well. Good luck!

Sorry for your loss. That exact scenario is my #2 predator loss fear after hawks.

I personally would use Sav-a-chick instead of Gatorade or sugar water -- and be sure to offer plain water too.

Do you have the ability to keep her enclosed in a secure run for a while? The predator is likely to come back for another meal where it hunted before.

I have awesome news guys! Our missing hen miraculously returned today! I have no idea where she’s been the past two days but she doesn’t seem to be hurt besides missing feathers, however I couldn’t get a close look since she won’t let me pick her up. I can give her some gatorade as well.

I appreciate all the support

Back
Top Bottom