Only one keet hatched from hatcher!

MyCozyCritters

Songster
May 4, 2019
TN
Help! I set a batch of guinea eggs and only one of them hatched!
Now I have this one little fellow and am trying to get her to eat...slow going for sure!
I wonder what is the best way to feed her and get her to drink...she is doing it but I'm not sure she's getting enough.
I have ground up the chick starter and she will eat it although not much at a time, then she wants me to hold and cuddle her!
I have 4 larger chicken chicks but they are larger than her and I am afraid to leave her in the cage with them.
Does anyone have some much needed advice Please???

Thanks,
Anne

Help! I set a batch of guinea eggs and only one of them hatched!
Now I have this one little fellow and am trying to get her to eat...slow going for sure!
I wonder what is the best way to feed her and get her to drink...she is doing it but I'm not sure she's getting enough.
I have ground up the chick starter and she will eat it although not much at a time, then she wants me to hold and cuddle her!
I have 4 larger chicken chicks but they are larger than her and I am afraid to leave her in the cage with them.
Does anyone have some much needed advice Please???

Thanks,
Anne
Make sure you are giving the keet a high protein game bird or turkey starter. You can try putting it in with the other chicks. Watch for aggressive behavior from the chicks. I would not be surprised if they readily accept the keet.

Colored marbles or pebbles in the water can help baby chickens learn to drink, so they might also help a guinea chick. Anything colorful or shiny will attracts the chick's attention, then they peck it and get water in their beak, then they drink the water and think about whether they want more.

All the ones I've hatched so far weren't very interested in eating or drinking for 24 to 48 hours after hatching. They're still full of undigested yolk.

Back
Top Bottom