Only roost is in front of the window. Is this ok?

Grammahen

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Southern New Hampshire
We are having electricity installed in the coop this week and I need to make a final decision on the layout. It has changed around a few times as they have grown. Now that they are big, my Golden Comets love to perch up high. I now have the only roost in front of the window. I have heard that drafts are bad. Does that mean summertime too when the window is open? Or is wintertime the concern? It seems like a good window. But in the summer it will be left open on hot nights. Because the coop is small, even if I move the roost to the opposite side of the wall, it still is only a few feet from the window.
They sure like to look out. I would hate to move it, but I don't want them harmed from drafts. Not sure what to do. You can look at my coop on my byc page https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=23582 (the inside layout has changed)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice set-up!
thumbsup.gif

I think it should be fine. The window seems to be high enough. I assume the window will be closed in cold weather. The cold from tightly sealed and closed window shouldn't cause a draft.

Thanks but should I lower the roost? It is now up high right in front of the window. Not like it shows on my page. (sorry, I did not explain that well enough, I'll go edit) I moved the nest boxes in front of the door. Can they be in front of an open window in the summer? What if it cools off during the night?

Last edited:
Do you have space to put in another, alternate roost? That way, the chickens could pick what they like better.

I gave my golden comets two platforms, about 2 ft high, one over nest boxes and one by the window. I find they prefer to sleep on the one over the nest boxes, possibly because it feels safer, less drafty. The problem with a window roost is flashing lights at night or something passing the window which might spook the birds when vulnerable. We also used plexiglass for our window, shown in our home page.
cool.png

Delightful coop. Just noticed your curtains which are beautiful. But the birds may get caught in them or even *eat* them!
cool.png

Last edited:
Very pretty coop and the roost will be fine. Winter drafts are the ones to worry about, although I would close the window when night temperatures fall below sixty. Of course that's just this old rooster opinion. Again a beautiful setup.

Thanks all. Maybe I'll try putting one over the nest boxes too. That is a good suggestion. I'll try putting a dropping board under the roost with the nest boxes under the dropping board. Does this make sense? Then they can take their pick.

Quote:
Agreed.. I have one roost up high that goes diagonal across one corner of the coop, each end above a window.

You can only see part of it at the top of this pic.

10376_7-05-2008_020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom