Only two left...

Deerling

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
King County, WA
My friend had a dog get into her yard and run and kill all but two chickens a few days ago. I came to help her today, since she wasn't sure what to do. The remaining two are in shock. One is not hurt, the other is currently unable to walk. I haven't been able to really assess the injury, but I brought her inside in a box with food and water. She was shaking when I brought her in :(

The remaining hen is out in the coop all alone, now. What is best to do in this situation? I worry about the lone chicken, especially with such recent trauma. With the injured chicken I feel like keeping her warm and still is most important for now, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any way they both can come in until they are feeling better. They are companions and the one in the coop may feel very lonely.

That's what I was afraid of.

Is keeping the injured one immobile important? I'm trying to figure out a setup that could work for them. A big dog crate with a heat lamp in the garage? The hurt hen is in a small plastic tote in the house at the moment, with just a small bowl of food and water.

The dog crate is a great idea. Is the garage heated. If so she wouldn't need a heat lamp. I am just afraid that one out there would get cold and she is probably still in shock. Good luck with them.

No, it isn't heated. We're in the NW so it's very damp type of cold right now. I'm not entirely sure how far my friend is able/willing to go with keeping the chickens indoors, etc. I'm tempted to bring the chickens to my house. (Not my coop, I understand bio security). We'll see. Poor hens.

Sounds like bringing them inside has helped a lot already :) Bossy, the injured hen, has stopped shaking and was standing (one one leg) this morning. I'm very happy to hear that! I did have them bring her friend in with her. I've encouraged them to keep her inside for up to a few weeks, and let them know I can care for them if they can't.

Back
Top Bottom