1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OOOHHH

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AK_Button_Mama, Jan 23, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I got 25 eggs in the bator!! OMG I am so excited!!!!

so quick question: is it better of have high humidity than low? I understand what will happen if its to low but will bad things happen if its to high? this is my first real run at it!

Ok wish me luck!!!

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    GOOD LUCK!!! [​IMG]

I have no idea about humidity requirements!!!![​IMG]

Cindy

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    What numbers are you talking about? Incubating chickens should be about 50% for the first 18 days and 60 -65 % till hatch.
    Too much humidity may drown the chicks in the eggs.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sure this is a dumb question but, being that it's cold in Alaska how will you take care of them until they can go outside and how do you take care of them when they are outside? Do you have heated buildings? Sorry just wondering. [​IMG] Thanks.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

ROFL, Wasilla isn't THAT much different than PA. Winter's a bit longer, yes, a bit colder, but I lived in Anchorage (not too far from Wasilla, I worked with people who commuted from there! (long commute, but doable)) and often watching Al Roker the temp in northern Ohio was colder than ours plenty of the time.

Really, Alaskans just learned to deal with winter better and be more prepared!!! Also, IMO winter was more consistant, less temperature swings which sort of helps believe it or not.

[edit] Also, at that latitude it is NOT dark ALL day. The days are short, but the LoooooooonG days of summer SO make up for it!!!

[edit2] Sorry for jumping in, but I couldn't help myself, misunderstandings about Alaska just tickle me. It's really very amusing. I miss AK every day, something that people just don't -get-

[edit3] GOOD LUCK with the hatch ButtonMama!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:PortageGirl, are you making fun of me? [​IMG]

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:*wipes the raspberry juice off her monitor* Nope!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Wouldn't dream of it! It really is funny though. I had a catalog person tell me they didn't take orders from foreign countries when I was placing an order over the phone when I lived there. [​IMG]

No, I'm really NOT making fun of YOU though. Asking questions is good, I truly believe that. This time of year is usually the COLDEST right now, seems like the last week of January, and the first two weeks of February are always the worst up there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by