ooops, need help, made a mistake!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bangor777, Jul 26, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I totally wasn't thinking!!!! i set 15 buff orp eggs nine days ago, then my silkie eggs came and I set them 5 days later.

I just realized something. how do I handle the last three days on the orps?????? I should be still turning the silkies at that point, oooooops! newbie mistake!

Do I need to go buy another incubator? is there any way I can make this work????? I can't believe that didn't occur to me until this morning!

help!!!![​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You'll do better with a second bator for hatching.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    WHen I was hatching earlier in the year I ended up buying a still air hova bator for hatching. It was not real expensive and I figured I could always add the fan for circulated later.
    Honestly the still air held better temps and humidity for hatching.
    I have my sirculated for incubating and the still for hatching, I did several staggered with good success.

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I made the same mistake this summer....my eggs in first did well, my others did not hatch at all.....[​IMG]

However, my father (who is retired...and has time on and off during the day) can seem to make this situation work....[​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I think we all at some point in time have made that mistake. [​IMG] I would be looking for a styrofoam box...cooler, worm box...and make a hatcher. All you need is a light...some vents...and moisture. Thermometer, and a safe place for them to hatch and not drown. Just get some hardware cloth...make a floor to go over the water...and when you see them pipping, place them in the hatcher. I know I have done this with great results. Yes, I have made that very same mistake. LOL
    Good luck on the hatch...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by