Oops... Cannibalism

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmeeter88, May 13, 2009.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Well, I wanted to give my chicks some treats earlier so I scrambled some eggs and fed them to the birds - they loved it.

I didn't stop to consider removing the yellow part... What did I do?! Are they going to get sick??

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    You are supposed to feed them the entire thing. It is very good for them! [​IMG]

3. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I give mine hard boiled. Everything but the shell, it's all fine [​IMG]

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I even feed mine the shells... [​IMG]

5. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Once I accidentally dropped an egg in the run and everyone was like "whoooo!" and the roo was letting everyone know what was there, and it was gone in seconds.

6. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I fed the whole thing back to them but only because I've read to do it here.

7. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I have read that the shell is good for them (sort of like the shell you buy and feed them so they can get whatever it is in their body they need to produce more eggs...I know my finches used to eat egg shells and boy oh boy would they lay a TON of eggs if they got their beaks on egg shell treats!

And the yolk is what they eat when they are in the egg themselves, so eating it outside of the egg wouldn't hurt them...that yellow part isn't the soon to be chicken...that's the soon to be eaten by future chickie nutrients. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by