Oops... I got a rooster!

Please do use flock feed if you want a boy that lives a long, healthy life. I currently use purina flock raiser but I don't like the crumble so I bought nutrena feather fixer and it's to high in calcium (thank you byc for alerting me) so I am getting nutrena all flock and will probably use feather fixer every year during the molt.
Nutrena all flock has higher protein than FF. You'll not need to make switches.

Thank you, everyone! it seems flock feed and oyster shells it is! Not like it's hard to set up two bowls anyways. Could be better for the girls as well. They can choose if they need more calcium or not on their own. I let a broody hen raise these chicks in my house and she only ate raiser feed with the chicks but when she started laying again she seemed to know exactly what she needed. suddenly gobbled up all the egg shells (i often feed them the extra eggs/shells.)

Um, I think you've got several things wrong.
Grinding food happens in the gizzard, not the crop.
And oyster shell does not make good grit for grinding food. Actual rocks work much better (either rocks the chickens find for themselves, or the bits of granite sometimes sold as "grit" for chickens.)
Eggshells would be almost useless for grinding food.
Gizzard is correct, it was 6am, forgive me.

You should explain why oyster shell isn't as good as rocks are (flint, granite) at grinding food. Perhaps it is because oyster shell is soluble and therefore will be broken down over time and digested, whereas rocks are insoluble and won't break down. Also, you should have noted that grit is only really needed if your chickens eat anything other than their standard feed.

Yes, obviously eggshell wouldn't be a good option as grit. I mentioned eggshell for the calcium, didn't think it needed explaining that eggshell wasn't sufficient as grit, it's quite obvious..

Back
Top Bottom