oops i hit the poop

case6

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
acme, wa.
i was butchering today and i cut into the colon a little. a tiny bit of poop came out and i rinsed it off quickly. please tell me that it's not ruined. i know it's bad but will it be alright to eat.

If it was just a little and you rinsed it off quickly, it's not a problem at all, I have done that before too and it never caused a problem.

AL

Happens all the time- when butchering, it's best to take their food away for at least 12 hours prior. I don't even leave mine on grass for 24 hours before butchering.

Yep, it's fine. The gall bladder is the main thing to worry about hitting (contains bright green bile), as that can give the meat an off flavor even with a little exposure. As long as you rinsed off the cecal material (poop), your bird will be fine to eat. The worst that could happen is some extra bacteria get on the meat, so make sure you don't undercook it and it probably would be a good idea to eat that one first. I've had this happen and you can't even tell the difference.

we had some soup stock left over from parboiling some of my home grown,self processed cornish this evening,I heated it up and blended in a bit of milk and flour.a dash of garlic powder,dash of onion powder,simmered a few minutes,took a hamburger bun and loaded it up with dry rice,poured the chicken soup over all that,with fried chicken on the side made a delicious meal,,,(country eatin)
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom