Oozing Bloody Head-pullet attack-what do I do?

Luffa

Chirping
Mar 16, 2017
Central Maryland
Our neurologically impaired Buff Orpington, Martha, was found on her back with one leg sticking up. We thought she was dead and her head was all bloody, eyes swollen shut and it looked like she'd been scalped. While looking at her in shock, Elizabeth Easter Egger attacked her. Our 9 girls turned 5 months old yesterday and never a problem (except for Martha's "cerebral palsy") until yesterday.

While I was watching, Elizabeth knocked Martha on her back & pecked her once in the stomach. I chased her away and the problem seemed to be solved. I was wrong and should have known better. Poor Martha was all bloody and couldn't get up on her own.

She's now in a dog crate in the bathroom. We applied triple antibiotic with a pain killer after cleaning the mess. She has several holes, all the feathers and skin are gone from the top of her head. She finally was able to open both eyes but her right ear (or somewhere near there) is all shredded, her beak and comb have been injured. She looks awful and is acting subdued and in pain. No wonder.

When checked 10 minutes later, her wounds were oozing blood again, she we put on a styptic powder/gel to her head. So far, so good.

When we took her to the vet weeks ago, she was diagnosed with an incurable cerebellar problem. The vet advised that we euthanize her if the others pick on her. I don't want to do that and have the facilities to keep her separated from thee others, maybe put one or two of the more protective chickens so she wouldn't be alone.

I'm really upset and aren't sure what to do.

I'm sorry to hear that she was attacked.
Do you have any photos?
Did the vet have a "name" for the condition she has - just curious?

Use plain triple antibiotic ointment instead of one with pain reliever.

Flush the wounds with soapy water, saline or diluted betadine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wounds. If she has any injuries to the eyes- flush with saline and apply Vetericyn eye gel.

It sounds like the others attacked her because she is weak and there is something wrong with her. When she recovers she will most likely need to be housed separately. It doesn't seem fair, but fair does not exist in a chicken's world.

Do your best to keep her hydrated - offer poultry vitamins in her water. See that she is eating well. She may benefit from some chopped egg for extra protein.
Keep us posted.

I'm sorry to hear that she was attacked.
Do you have any photos?
Did the vet have a "name" for the condition she has - just curious?

Use plain triple antibiotic ointment instead of one with pain reliever.

Flush the wounds with soapy water, saline or diluted betadine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wounds. If she has any injuries to the eyes- flush with saline and apply Vetericyn eye gel.

It sounds like the others attacked her because she is weak and there is something wrong with her. When she recovers she will most likely need to be housed separately. It doesn't seem fair, but fair does not exist in a chicken's world.

Do your best to keep her hydrated - offer poultry vitamins in her water. See that she is eating well. She may benefit from some chopped egg for extra protein.
Keep us posted.

I do have photos but haven't figured out how to post them from my camera/computer. Don't have a smartphone.

Martha survived. A few weeks later, she was ready to go outside. As you wisely suggested, we didn't put her back in with the others. Luckily we had an unoccupied coop and small, fenced yard. The other chickens were in it when they were little and quickly outgrew it (as well as totally denuding it of grass). But what to do about companions for her?

I answered a CL posting and ended up with 2 very young Silkies, a partridge and a black. The latter was about 1/3 the size of the brown one. The seller swore they were both female and not knowing any better I accepted that. They just stopped peeping last week so I believe they're younger than I thought. The black one is now close to the size of the other.

I still have no clue as to what gender they are but they do play a "jump up and bump chests". I've been told that's a rooster thing, oh dear.

They snuggled right up to Martha who likes them. Maybe she's thinking they're her chicks?

All the vet said about her birth defect that it was "cerebellar dysfunction" and nothing could be done.

I read somewhere that an 81 mg aspirin dissolved in a pt of water would reduce her pain & swelling so I did that.

Good to know that Martha has recovered. Also, that she won't be alone. Hopefully the silkies are healthy and both pullets. Use good biosecurity measures with the the additions (handwashing, change shoes between the groups, and don't share equipment between them and your larger flock for at least a month. Normally, I would not mix new birds with an existing bird for a quarantine period of at least one month. But since Martha has already been with them, just keep an eye out for any unusual symptoms. Look the silkies over for lice and mites, and watch for any diarrhea, lethargy, and any sneezing or watery eyes for the next few weeks. Glad that Martha has some new friends. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom