oozing egg from vent

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuburbanChickFarmer, Jan 5, 2010.

1. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Not a great topic for this early in the morning but I have an almost 2 year old Cuckoo Maran hen that as far as I can tell hasn't laid an egg in at least 6 months. All she ever does is oozes egg from her vent. It's always a slow and messy process. Now, with the cold weather, she had a clump of frozen mass about the size of a baseball stuck to her so I had to bring her in, bathe her, and then left her inside in a cage because it's 2 degrees out and I didn't want to put her out wet, plus, it's still s-l-o-w-l-y oozing out from her vent. I only have 2 marans and the other is laying just fine as well as the other hens I have. I have a total of 8, and I get about 6 eggs, even with the shorter winter days and this frigid cold. I supplement their food, which is Purina Layena, with oyster shells and crushed eggshells, plus they get yogurt and cottage cheese. What else can I do for this hen to get her to actually create a shell? Any suggestions? BTW, I think she really likes being an indoor hen [​IMG]

2. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Wow, that doesn't sound good. You said she's getting plenty of calcium, so I'm wondering if the part of her reproductive system that forms the shell may be damaged. Has she ever laid a normal egg? Sorry, I can't really offer anything other than a bump. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will stop by!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    maybe you could seperate her and make sure she is eatting her calcium! my chickens sometimes pick through their oyster shells to get to food... they like the red chick grit better too probably because of the anise... anyway I hope that she is ok! Ya know they do make chicken diapers to have indoor hens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by