Oozing Sore!!

OrpingtonDude

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
I have a 8 month old Splash Orpington Rooster. He has some sort of sore on the right side of his head. I need to know what this is and how to treat it.
55860_dsc01406.jpg

55860_dsc01410.jpg

55860_dsc01411.jpg

55860_dsc01407.jpg

Mike

I have no idea. I'd wash it up and put some Neosporin on it to see if it helps. Or BluKote. Maybe it's from an injury of some sort.

Quote:
This is Mike's dad. I believe it is in his ear. When I pulled the scab off a thin yellow liquid came out and the stuff stinks. It does not seem to bother him. He walks straight and acts normal.

Quote:
This is Mike's dad. I believe it is in his ear. When I pulled the scab off a thin yellow liquid came out and the stuff stinks. It does not seem to bother him. He walks straight and acts normal.

i would do systemic antibiotics and warm compresses. if he'll let you. that looks icky.
sickbyc.gif
is he in with another rooster? hopefully someone else also has some input too! yellow stinky liquid = infection to me, but I don't know for sure--that's mammal experience, not chicken...
idunno.gif

Quote:

i would do systemic antibiotics and warm compresses. if he'll let you. that looks icky.
sickbyc.gif
is he in with another rooster? hopefully someone else also has some input too! yellow stinky liquid = infection to me, but I don't know for sure--that's mammal experience, not chicken...
idunno.gif

Yes he is with 4 other roos. 1 one roo is older, 1 is the same age, 2 are younger. They all get a long, he does chase one of the younger roos.

I believe he may have had an abscess in or around his ear. I would keep cleaning it very well and applying an antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, no -caine ingredients) to the area. I don't know that I would use systemic antibiotics unless the chicken was obviously more ill than he sounds. Chickens' bodies tend to encapsulate infections thus the reason for the weird pus. Infections are rarely oozy instead the infection tends to get hardened and isolated into a pocket (abscess), which is generally easy for the body to deal with long term and can be cleaned up pretty easily once the pocket is opened. Systemic infections from wounds are fairly rare considering how often chickens scratch and bite and wound each other. I think he should heal up just fine as long as the infection doesn't move into the ear or sinuses. If he should start displaying any swelling in his face or head or any balance problems I would start him on a systemic antibiotic ASAP.

Good luck with him. Keep us posted on his condition.

Quote:
I had a vet tell me that chickens don't create the same kind of puss we do, there puss is this kind of a cheesy thick substance instead of a running kind of liquid like us. I am going to do surgery on one of my chickens who has a swollen lump under her eye that the vet told me was more than likely a particle of grain/dust that clogged the air sacs that run through a chickens head and into the beak and caused an infection, he said the swollen spot will be full of this hard cheesy "puss" that chickens make that will need to be cleaned out for a few days after the surgery to make sure it is all cleaned out. Winging it myself because he quoted me $1100 to do the operation himself on my $5 chicken
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom