Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Sorry, V. I don't drink and I am too old to try new things.
gig.gif

You'll just have to go this one alone.
big_smile.png

Stockpiling whiskey? Whoa! It would get you mighty thirsty from drinking all that whiskey!

I have the feeling we will get a water shortage too! Sunday, hubby, dd and I went fishing....talk about DRY downriver from the dam where it has not had any water drained out since last year. Lake is dropping a bit as well. If we dont get decent rain, we will have a very dry summer. Alot of the water has been standing around, many carps died last fall, skeletons all over the bank. I did see a few carps and fewer catfish in these shallow water. They are not even biting the bait at all. We might just have to find deeper waters.

What bait should I use for catfish, bass and crappie? Hubby put "slurpies" baits on our hooks but I figured fishies don't like the plastic baits. I remember my father uses a combination of chopped liver, liver blood, fats and cornflakes/cornmeal to make those bait balls. I dont remember what exactly IS in those baits but goodness they were so smelly!

I had a tough time casting off my line without the bobber with a line that only have a small weight and plastic bait. Rusty, indeed! I have not fished over 16 years and it shows. Once I had the bobber on my line, it made a difference.

I hated getting my hook caught on things!

Also, hubby and I differ how we reel in and how often. He believes he should sit there and let the bait dangle in one spot until it gets something.

For me, I like to cast off, reel in every so often, stop and go, wait a bit then go again before the bobber will reach the shore. Like making motion for the bait as a real thing like an insect would do.

What are your tips?

While I am expecting this to be a very dry summer, right now high water levels have prevented me from fishing. I'm hoping that next week will be better.

While many baits work better live that can also be effective dead. The same holds true for fishermen. They work better live and when they're not they could be bait.

lau.gif
I will keep that bait in mind when fishing. Purple or white rubber worms with a tiny piece of earth worm on the hook are a good combo for small mouth bass on the local river.

Can I trade you some rain for a little sunshine??? I could even throw in some wet snow. We have had more snow in March than the entire winter. December was unusually cold and dry for the NW but then one 3 day storm system in January brought the rain levels back on target. It has been a long wet stretch since then! You know it is raining too much when the Labradors do not want to go outdoors. The Asian pears buds are starting to swell. Always a little dicey if they will get zapped by frost. Luckily the 5 trees have slightly different blooming schedules so usual one or two trees will have fruit.

celebrate.gif
for the first day of spring! The rainy weather may linger for another 8-12 weeks but the days will be getting warmer and brighter!!!!

Back
Top Bottom