Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

It's been a while since I've posted on this thread and since sleeping is much of an option with all the fireworks going off in the neighborhood, I figured it was a good time to ramble.

We just returned from a two week excursion taking Granny to visit relatives in Missouri and Arkansas. Since her health is pretty good and we never now what tomorrow might bring I decided we needed to head south.

The incident reminded me that I have not only raised a great son, but more importantly, a very kind and caring person.
You have done well.....as did your parents.

It's been a while since I've posted on this thread and since sleeping is much of an option with all the fireworks going off in the neighborhood, I figured it was a good time to ramble.

We just returned from a two week excursion taking Granny to visit relatives in Missouri and Arkansas. Since her health is pretty good and we never now what tomorrow might bring I decided we needed to head south. One the first day we drove to St Louis and spent two nights with the daughter of one of Granny's brothers. While with her we went to Grant's farm and then to Merrimac Cavern.

Grant's farm was once owned by Ulysses S. Grant and for many years was the private retreat of the Anheuser Busch family. Since my cousin lives quite close it was a great morning excursion. Then after lunch we decided to drive the 70 miles southwest to Merrimac Caverns.

While the cave is supposedly handicap accessible if if hadn't been for the kindness of strangers we would probably still be there. We had taken a wheel chair for Granny and in several spots the incline was so steep that it was all Hope and I could do to keep the chair from running away from us. While that was a little scary in was nothing compared to the difficulty of pushing the chair back up.

At several places the incline was so steep that even with the assistance of a couple of young guy in the late thirties or early forties we all were puffing when we finally reached a level spot. When ever we would reach an incline the would give me trouble someone would always step in to help.

It definitely was an outing that verified that there still are a lot of kind people in this world who will help a stranger without having to be asked.

On the third morning of our trip we headed further south to Arkansas to visit with two of my father's brothers and their wives. While the two days and nights we were there was a wonderful visit, it was also a little sad. The one aunt who has hundreds of flowers of countless varieties, is no longer able to main them in the immaculate beds as she once had.

One of my uncles, who recently turned 85, is no longer able to hunt. Forty plus years ago he came to Michigan to deer hunt with my father and I and gave him a very good knife as a memento of the hunt. One morning on this visit as, he and I sat on the porch drinking coffee, he gave the knife back. Since he has no children he didn't want it to disappear when he passes. While it was a very touching moment, it made me very aware of how old all of us are.

From Arkansas it was off to southwest Missouri to spend time with my oldest and my youngest sons. As my three boys were growing up I expected that this two would stay close and that the middle son would move to parts unknown, yet just the reverse happened.

While visiting my sons and their families, we went to a FFA show where my granddaughter Morgan was showing her Hereford bull. After all the animals had been shown, judged, and ribbons awarded they held a no claim auction. The animals are led into the area and an auctioneer "sells" them. Many businesses, politicians, families and friends bid. The only difference is that while the top bidder pays the child for their animal they only get a picture of it and any ribbon that the animal had won. The purpose is to encourage kids to become involved with farming and help offset the costs of raising their animals.

Since Granny was getting rather tired we didn't stay for the "sale". However, when my son Joe returned home he told me all about how it was.

Morgan had also show a pair of hogs and once was brought into the sale area. Her hog brought her $360 dollars. As the auction progressed it became apparent that the better known a family was, the higher price the animal would bring.

When one little girl stood in the area with her pig the auctioneer was almost begging for someone to bid. When Joe became aware that nothing was happening he got his wife to go to the other side and bid against him until the amount reached the $150 he had in his pocket.

When the little girl nervously came to him after the sale to thank him and give him the ribbon she had won. He knelt down so she wouldn't feel intimidated by his size and told her how he thought she had the best hog is the show. As she handed over the cherished ribbon he asked her to keep it for him so that every time she looked at it she would be reminded of what a wonderful job she had done raising that hog.

As he stood the girl's teary eyed mother came and thanked him as well. He told me that it was all he could do to not become emotional as well.

The incident reminded me that I have not only raised a great son, but more importantly, a very kind and caring person.

Every single day I am made aware of the kindness of strangers. I am in tears reading these stories. What a compassionate human being Joe is along with the young men at the caverns. Kind folks draw kindness to them.
love.gif

I spent today with my 90 year of friend and I swear he looks and acts younger than he did last summer when he was having to deal with all pressure and problems with his nephew. Now that the farm has been deeded to my son, and we are starting to repair many of the things that have too long been neglected, it's as if a tremendous weight has been lifted. I've never seen him smile and laugh as much as now.

Today he and I were cleaning and organizing in one of the barns when we came upon a Planet Jr wheeled hand cultivator. In it's current configuration it is set up with a chain driven seed planter unlike anything I have ever seen before. He said the last time it was used was probably in the late fifties and that I should take it since it would be prefect for my own garden. Now my quest will be to try and locate the rest of the implements, ie. furrowing plows, cultivators, oscillating hoe, and weed sweeps. If we can't find them, I can purchase new ones from a company that is now making cultivators and accessories from the old Planet Jr patents.

While purchasing a new unit would be easier than cleaning 60 years of rust and grime from this unit, I like the idea of using something that my friend's father had purchased years before I was born. The fact that his father, brother, and he have worked many gardens makes it an incredible addition to my life.

You sure are good at rejuvenating older folks Opa - Granny has also benefited from your loving attention.

Last fall I inherited a 14 year old husky/shepard mix dog that belonged to my BF's sister - she went off to Florida and left Roxy with me, then decided to stay in Florida which I guess means I get the dog for good. She is a great old girl, but has pretty bad arthritis and was having a hard time getting around. After improving her diet, starting her on a joint supplement and pain medication, and giving her Adequan injections, she is much more mobile and happier - even gambols around at times. I know she is old, but it is very rewarding to see her comfortable. Although it has been pretty costly!

I spent today with my 90 year of friend and I swear he looks and acts younger than he did last summer when he was having to deal with all pressure and problems with his nephew. Now that the farm has been deeded to my son, and we are starting to repair many of the things that have too long been neglected, it's as if a tremendous weight has been lifted. I've never seen him smile and laugh as much as now.

Today he and I were cleaning and organizing in one of the barns when we came upon a Planet Jr wheeled hand cultivator. In it's current configuration it is set up with a chain driven seed planter unlike anything I have ever seen before. He said the last time it was used was probably in the late fifties and that I should take it since it would be prefect for my own garden. Now my quest will be to try and locate the rest of the implements, ie. furrowing plows, cultivators, oscillating hoe, and weed sweeps. If we can't find them, I can purchase new ones from a company that is now making cultivators and accessories from the old Planet Jr patents.

While purchasing a new unit would be easier than cleaning 60 years of rust and grime from this unit, I like the idea of using something that my friend's father had purchased years before I was born. The fact that his father, brother, and he have worked many gardens makes it an incredible addition to my life.

What a great tool. Always better to use the stuff from the good ole days, imo.

I remember the weight removed from my husband's grandmother's shoulders when her debts were finally solved. She let out a sigh that could have blown out a volcano. She smiled and never had another bad word to say about anything again. What a relief for your friend.

@Opa
THANK YOU for informing me about this thread! I have SO been missing my fix of "Opa" morning inspirational posts on the Michigan thread! Now I know where to get them.

Your stories & wisdom always brightens my day :love

Back
Top Bottom