Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

smile.png
Hello Opa! I just found your thread this morning...and you sound like a nice fella to get to know...as well as the many nice posters to the thread.

I also found this on one of your recent posts here..."From Arkansas it was off to southwest Missouri to spend time with my oldest and my youngest sons. As my three boys were growing up I expected that this two would stay close and that the middle son would move to parts unknown, yet just the reverse happened."

My mothers family is from SW MO, and I have many fond memories of the times I have spent there.

May I join the convo?

7 Biddies
I lived in Worcester for a few years when my husband and I first got married. Now we live about 20 minutes from worcester in a town called Charlton. Do you ever get out this way?

I haven't been up there in YEARS! I hear from my cousins from time to time, but haven't seen them in ages. I used to have family in Rutland, Clinton and New Braintree, and they're still in that general area. I lived at 127 Burncoat Street in 1953, when the big tornado came through. According to Google, it looks a lot different, now. There's an expressway and an overpass in that area now, I think. Back then, it was a pretty area with old Victorian homes, like the one we lived in. I remember playing in the park as a kid and we went (walked) to Adam Square School which, I understand, was razed and became a funeral home. My Uncles owned a "spa" on Lincoln Street, not far from us. I have good memories from there.

Last edited:
smile.png
Hello Opa! I just found your thread this morning...and you sound like a nice fella to get to know...as well as the many nice posters to the thread.

I also found this on one of your recent posts here..."From Arkansas it was off to southwest Missouri to spend time with my oldest and my youngest sons. As my three boys were growing up I expected that this two would stay close and that the middle son would move to parts unknown, yet just the reverse happened."

My mothers family is from SW MO, and I have many fond memories of the times I have spent there.

May I join the convo?

Helloooo moxie's_chickienuggets,

Funny coincidence you showed up just now. After posting about my childhood in Worcester, MA, another reminder of those days popped up in the form of your post. When I was living in Rome, NY (my dad was in the USAF, so I've lived all over), I went to a catholic all girls school there, where I earned the nickname, "Moxie", because of some Latin I mistranslated. The teacher told us to translate a paragraph without looking up any unfamiliar words ... "try to figure them out from the context", she instructed. Calling on me, I translated the first sentence as, "Mox Coriolanus will cross the Rubicon into Gaul .... ". Being the honest little doobee that I was, I didn't look up the word mox, and translated the paragraph perfectly .... except that I thought mox was the General's first name. Turns out mox means "soon", as in, "Soon Coriolanus will cross the Rubicon into Gaul ... " After Sister Honorea stopped laughing, she chastised the others who laughed because they obviously cheated and held them after class. The next day at school, every nun in the building was calling me Moxie. Must have been the topic of conversation when the nuns had dinner that night.

I don't think people here in the south are familiar with the term "Moxie"; must've been a Yankee thing. Either that, or I'm the oldest person down here.

Last edited:
Hello Miss Biddies!!

I heard my name mentioned.....must be why I showed up
wink.png

"moxie" actually has a Latin meaning eh? I had no idee!! I was the "moxie" because I am a strong willed redhead from MO.
lau.gif
I have had the moxie moniker since 1999, when I finally went back to using computers after having not touched one since 1981. I had to think of something. "moxie" fit me pretty well.

Full Definition of MOXIE

1​
: energy, pep
2​
: courage, determination
3​
: know-how

The above, credited to our good friend: Merriam-Webster online

One of the nicest things about this thread is the wonderful people that it has attracted and of course everyone is welcomed.

Moxie, one of my sons lives in Purdy and the other in Monett, about 7 miles from each other. Monett is on Hwy 60 about 40 miles southwest of Springfield. Scott the younger son lives in town, and Joe lives on a farm about 4 miles west of Purdy.

The area is referred to as "top of the Ozarks and is the start of the prairie land that extends westward to the Rockies. As a result their is almost always a constant breeze and the humidity is much less than the eastern part of the state. Even when the temps hit the 90's it's bearable, but still much to hot for this old man.

The area around Joe's farm is called Stone's Prairie. When I was aware of the name I thought it perhaps it was called that after one of the original settlers. However, after helping him in his garden I realized that it much be due to the dominant crop.

This morning I had a doctor appointment to try and determine why my elbow hasn't fully healed after nine months. While I was in the office I had turned my cell phone ringer off. When checking it after coming from the office I found my old farmer hadn't called. After numerous calls to him as I drove the 35 miles from the doctor's office, I decided that my only option was to go and check on him. A quick stop at my house to verify Granny was okay, and then on the the farm.

I found him sitting and watching television with his cell phone volume turned down and the cell phone down. While it is a pain the drive the 25 miles and not be needed; it is not half as difficult as sitting home and wondering if he is okay.

While I hadn't planned on going to the farm today, since I was there I spent the day doing some dozer work that needed to be done.

After supper Hope and I picked some summer squash, zuchinni, and cucumbers from the garden and discussed picking the wild blackberries. Deciding that both of us were tired I opted to pick them tomorrow morning. Now as I sit here I'm watching a large doe eating them. Since they are wild berries I guess she has just as much right to them as we.

Last edited:
Hello Miss Biddies!!

I heard my name mentioned.....must be why I showed up
wink.png

"moxie" actually has a Latin meaning eh? I had no idee!! I was the "moxie" because I am a strong willed redhead from MO.
lau.gif
I have had the moxie moniker since 1999, when I finally went back to using computers after having not touched one since 1981. I had to think of something. "moxie" fit me pretty well.

Full Definition of MOXIE

1​
: energy, pep
2​
: courage, determination
3​
: know-how

The above, credited to our good friend: Merriam-Webster online

Before turning grey, I, too, was a red head ... a green eyed Irish one! I've fit the moxie description all my life with my persistence, stubbornness, and bluntness. Oh well. Better than being plain vanilla, I always say.

Nice tameetcha!

It has been a busy week, both at work and at home as my BF's family is all here for a memorial service in his Dad's memory. They are a busy, contentious and active bunch, so my role is to put out fires and reassure everyone that no one is mad at them. The service was yesterday, and went very well. However, a neighbor had called the day before and asked if I would like to pick the last of their strawberries. I did not get over there yesterday just due to lack of time, so they kindly picked, cleaned and froze the berries for me. Good neighbors really are priceless.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom