Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Today is a day for celebration and I hope that everyone has a great day. Hope's sons and their families are coming over this afternoon and it's alway nice to see the grandkids. It would be nice to see some fire works tonight
10233_summer_fireworks_5.gif
but that would require driving and I try to avoid driving on holidays. You can never exercise enough caution when driving, and this is doubly so on holidays. Tragically you always hear of the idiots who over celebrate and drive.

I few years ago I was in Purdy, Missouri for the 4th and Joe's small country churchs men's club puts on one of the nicest firework displays imagineable. Everyone meets on the church grounds about 2 hours before dark and they have games for the kids and watermelon and snow cones. Everyone sits around visiting and watching the kids play until dark when the light show begins. For close to 45 minutes they have multiple aerial displays exploding in the night time sky.
10233_summer_fireworks_2.gif
10233_summer_fireworks_3.gif
10233_summer_firework2.gif

That sounds nice, Opa! Here, we have a HUGE firework display, but you have to be at the park by 3 in order to get a good spot.
tongue.png
We actually found that the best spot to watch is on a road on the edge of town.

Happy 4th from Budapest

Just popped into an internet cafe to let those at home know we arrived safely. Just getting settled in and finding our way around. Hope everyone is enjoying their celebrations. Must dash but hopefully will be up and running with proper internet soon so will be able to stop and chat for a bit. Take care everyone.

Thistle, my darlin' daughter. Be careful on your holiday. All of the foreign countries you're visiting are populated by foreigners.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone!

IIS, cute quail babies! I see some of the eggs are speckled and one is white. Do you have two different kinds?

ranchy and orp, Glad you had a nice visit.

Highlander, Take lots of pics to share with those of us who will never make it to that part of the world!

ETC, How did the inspection go? Any suggestions for those us who will going through the process one of these days?

ya.gif
No work today so out to get some things done before it rains. We have a 50% chance throughout the day and it's dry right now so I'd better get busy.

Morning everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day-very, very quiet back here in my neighborhood-I think due to the poor economy people just decided no fireworks this year-which is a whole lot easier on my sissy labrador.
smile.png

NotAFarm: Thanks for asking-the inspector called me on Friday and said that due to all the rain we had and were still having-that we had to postpone the test. He said rain skews the test results-who knew? Anywho, he is supposed to come tomorrow-I'll just have to wait and see how that goes.
roll.png

Opa I really like the new ark you built-that would be perfect for one of my breeding trios.
Incubating is Fun your new quail babies are so cute.
Highlander I hope you are having a wonderful vacation and I would love to see some pics of Budapest-from what I have seen on TV and such-it looks really interesting.
Sally How's that broody situation going? I had 3 at one time here-I finally got them to see that, gee it's much cooler outside than sitting in a nestbox on nothing in the middle of summer in Texas!
roll.png

I hope you all have a wonderful day today!

thanks and yes there are two different breeds couturnix and bobwhite.this morning the power went out a 6:00 and i had to hold the chicks to keep them warm for hours
caf.gif

10233_summer_melting.gif
Some how Michigan thinks it's South Carolina. I talked with my oldest son and we were 7 degrees warmer than southwest Missouri. The forecast for the rest of the week calls for continued heat. Hopefully it breaks soon. Of course I'm sure that my sweet potatoes and okra like the heat, the the rest sure don't.

Went to the neighbors this evening and picked somemore rasperries but the heat is starting to dry them out. While there are quite a few on the bushes still, I don't think they are going to be worth picking. With this heat and no rain they won't make enough. I did have enough that I was able to make two batches tonight. I used 12 ounce jelly jars for the first time. Wound up with 11 jars but it doesn't look like you've done as much as when you use the 8 ounce jars. Plus I've got a shelve in each of my freezers that the smaller jars fit in perfectly.

I keep looking at the pictures of quail eggs and chicks and thinking how nice it might be to raise some. Particularily given how much my sons like pickled eggs, the quail eggs would be perfect. Lord I've got to quit thinking like this. That's all I need, to get addicted to quail.

Back
Top Bottom