Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Yesterday I built to boxes for quail. They are approximately 16x16x24" with louvers installed in both ends and a 10x16" access door in one side. The are built so that the cage can be attached to the box. I bent some hunter green aluminum soil stock I had to give them waterproof tops. They should work out real well as quail quarters.

Another hot humid day on tap. David has the huys coming in at 7 so they can get a little bit earlier start and he plans on quitting by noon. They worked until 330pm yesterday and when he got back to the shop he looked like he had been drug through a knothole. I don't ever remember seeing him look quite so tired. It's already 75 degrees and the fans are running in the chick coop. The weatherman on television just said that the humidity is over 80% amd that it will reach at least 95 by 5pm.

I think that before it gets too hot I will take the quail boxes to my friends house and attach the cages to them before it gets too hot. I'm still not getting quail. I'm still not getting quail. I'm still not getting quail. I'm still not getting quail.

Quote:
lau.gif
Uh huh. What does Granny say?

Granny don't say nothing. She's visiting one of my brothers that lives in Muskegon until Sunday. Early last week she was one the pity pot and claimed she was hurting so bad that she wished she could just die. So I scheduled an appointment for the 16th with the doctor that replaced her hip. The next day my brother called and ask her to come over. suddenly she is wanting to cancel the doctor's appointment. Not going to happen though.

Good Morning! The rain we didn't get the 5th got here yesterday around 3:30 p.m. and continued until around midnight. It was 89 and so muggy. Today they are calling for mid 80s and more rain. It's 70 now but with the 93% humidity, feels hotter. Thanks you to whoever invented air conditioning!!
lol.png
The birds have to settle for fans and cool water.

Opa, Did you happen to make an extra quail box or two that won't be going to a friend's but perhaps staying at your place??? Sorry to hear Granny was feeling bad last week. Nothing to make a Mom feel better than knowing one of her children wants to have her come see them! Best to keep the doctor appt to find out what the problem is. You're a very good son Opa .......and I bet you'll make a great guail keeper too!
gig.gif

ETC, Do those Ag guys expect you to just be available whenever they get around to getting there? Sounds like cable installers, repair men, furniture/appliance delivery.......sigh.... like so many nowadays, their time is valuable, yours......not so much. Hope he gets there today and it all goes well.
fl.gif

CCMH, I bet a quilted item from you will be happily received at Christmas! I'm sorry to hear the garden didn't make this year. It's so disappointing to put all the work into one and then see it fail. I'll be praying that your fruit trees produce for you. I'm not looking for frost yet!!!! Our winters are way too long the way it is!
hmm.png

Later, Mary

Worst year for our poultry farm! Rachel found 20 bantam three month olds killed this morning when doing chores. One survivor, she roosts in the rafters. A mink or weasel killed them all. Heads chewed off and one body eaten. We are all just sick to our stomachs.

Not sure how to catch the varmit. The live trap I have has the same size holes as the hole in the side of the coop. I may have to find some leg traps to set tonight.

Keep cool- going to be hot today in Michigan! suppose to rain tonight though and I hope cool off after that!

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I'm sorry, Wyliearms.

Good morning all. Summer has been fun! I'm hoping to get a playdate or two in before I start up school.

Morning all-it has been absolutely pouring here this morning so I, of course don't expect my NPIP inspection today, right? Oh but no, he IS coming in about an hour or so. Now my run is flooded and on top of that, a roll of fence fell over and turned the water spicket on at some point so it's flooded outside the coop as well...I will not curse, I will not curse....BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyliefarms-I am so sorry a predator got your birds-I detest predators of any kind.
Mary-the Ag guys are apparently like cable installers. Sadly, though I am at the mercy of the State and as much as I LOVE our great State of Texas, that is still not a pleasant thought.
Opa-We are all looking forward to seeing the pics of your new quail.
gig.gif

Hope you all have a great day today.

Took the quail boxes to my friends house and decided to bring them and the cages, with birds, back to the shop. He's up north, not sure when he's coming home, and the quail were out of water and their cages were sitting in the sun. I decided to stack the houses and cages, put wheels on the bottom one, and install a sun shield over the cages. I think he'll like it, but I'm sure the quail will. I'm just about finished with it. Just came in to get something to eat and to cool off some.
10233_summer_icecube.gif

Sarah, the vorwerk broody is sitting on 6 eggs. I think there a couple of orpingtons, and the rest are vorwerks and hamburgs. They're all pure bred and Rachael can have them it she'd like. I could put the hamburgs back with their rooster and then immediately start saving eggs from the vorkwerk and the orpington. The hamburgs should probably wait a couple of weeks to insure their eggs are pure

Thought I'd take some pictures of quail for what I hope is the only time they are on my property. Using Mike's existing cages with is what I came up with.

10233_quail_coops_001.jpg

10233_quail_coops_002.jpg

10233_quail_coops_003.jpg

Last edited:
Mary, glad you are getting some rain, we had a couple 1 minute showers today, but it looks like there may be more..
fl.gif

Glad Granny is feeling better, my momma is ready for her trip to STL to stay with her sister next week, hoping it all works out so she can go.

ETC
fl.gif

Wylie so very sorry, that is so devastating to find; hope you catch the honery boogers!!
hugs.gif

Opa, nice quail cages, the quail look so nice on your patio...
wink.png

Been hot here again today, we were going fishing, but just weren't up to it when we got up, maybe another day. Did a little canning of odds and ends this morning and then to the sewing room..
big_smile.png

Hello to everyone else....stay cool!!

Back
Top Bottom