Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Well, my inspector came today(really awesome guy) and tested my flock and...I AM NPIP CERTIFIED!
wee.gif
and also got my Exhibition Permit.
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone.
hugs.gif

I'd be afraid to get NPIP certified. Might make me feel like I should get more chickens or even quail. I think if I were to add much more I would be certified.

Good Morning, finishing my coffee and computer time and heading out to do some chicken rearranging. The Icelandics have been here three weeks now so quarantine is over for them. Time to combine the young roos with the SLW layer flock and the even younger girls with the other pullets. Got to make room for the Freedom Rangers arriving the 16th. Did two batches of 25 cornish x last year and wanted to try the FR to see if we like them any better. Also, need to move the broody Chickie Mama into a separate pen to be ready for the BR turkey eggs I'm getting from a friend this weekend. It was raining earlier but is now clear. Highs into the 80s with no rain for the next few days.

ETC, Congrats on the NPIP. I will be checking to see what I need to do for ceritification. What is an Exibition Permit?

Opa, The quail boxes and cages look great! I'm sure your friend will appreciate the wheels and sun shade additions. Does he/she know you're using their quail to test your ideas for your own quail quarters?!?
lol.png

Have a great day everyone!
Later, Mary

CCMH, Glad to hear that you've gotten some much needed moisture. I know my son had said his garden was dried up and about to blow away. Another well above 90 day here again. It did rain late this afternoon and that has dropped the temperature 20 degrees but it is still humid. Supposedly the humid is going to drop tomorrow. Hope they've got that forecast right.

I thought I post the latest on the quail quandry. Yesterday I took the boxes I had built to my friends house. The birds were sitting out in the hot sun and almost out of water. I decided to bring them back to the shop and connect the houses and cages into a one piece wheeled unit. As I was working on attaching the cages to the boxes I realized one of the doors was open so I quickly closed it. Several hours later I was showing my handiwork to Hope and realized that I was short one bird. Some how I hadn't noticed that it escaped. Around six Mike and his wife stopped to pick up the birds. While I explaining what had happened and that I get him a replacement, the bird strolls right by us and into the brush. We decided since quail are covey birds we would leave the cages and hope he'd be drawn to them. Just before dark he was there, and repeated attempts by Hope and I to net him failed.

This morning I made a trap by wrapping some 3' tall plastic mesh around the cages in the form of a big question mark. The idea being that he would be drawn to the others, enter the trap area and then I would be able to net him. About 6pm Mike came down, the bird hadn't be seen since last night, so we walked the perimeter of the property in hopes of spotting him. As we walked back we spied him about 30' from the trap. Unfortunately he saw us as well and took of in the opposite direction. I hurried around the shop just in time to stop him on the driveway between the shop and a 5' tall retaining wall. Quickly dashing around and to the top I was able to turn him back towards the shop. He disappeared over the edge but I could see him on the drive. He was sitting on a rock just below the edge. I have an extremely large bird capture net and was able to get it in place just as he took flight. As I walked back to the cages with the bird in the bottom of this very deep net, he suddenly burst up and out of the net without any difficulty. Somehow I was able to grab him in mid flight with my hand.

So now ALL of the quail are in their new homes and resting comfortably where they belong......NOT HERE.

Back
Top Bottom