Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I picked raspberries this morning and the picking was a little slim. The feller that has the plants doesn't water them so the berries are running a little small. The canes are loaded with berries but it will be a day or so before most are ripe. With what I picked today I had intended to make the raspberry version of the cheesecake but after cleaning and crushing I only had three cups which is exactly the freezer jam recipe calls for. So I guess I will have to make it next week.

My darlin' Thistle, if it weren't for that pond between us I make one just for you.

And you could bet I would eat every bite!!
big_smile.png

Tonight I am boning out the smoked chicken to take tomorrow for Chickenstock. I think many folks wouldn't mess with making their own once they realize how much work is involved. For a dozen birds it took about two hours to clean, place in mesh bag, then make a brine solution, and place the birds into it. I had it timed so that yesterday morning was 10 hours of soaking.

Next the birds were taken out of the brine at 7am, allowed to drip, then placed in the smoker with the oven temperature set at 200 degrees. At 10pm the internal temperature of the birds had reached the final temperature of 160. They were then placed in the refrigerator until this evening when I started boning them out.

It is surprising just how long it takes to bone them out. I've got 2 placed whole in zip lock bags to give as prizes and I have 4 boned out. I've got over an hour invested and I still have 6 more to bone out. It's sort of sad when you think of all the time involved and just how quickly they will disappear. But anything good is always worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom