Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

There is something about cold weather that makes me want to fix soup. This past Sunday I had a beef brisket roasting in the oven. Beyond getting it cooked we hadn't decided just how we were going to finish it or what we would have with it.

I had been outside working on getting the coops ready for winter when I came in to check on the beef. As I was washing my hands and restoring feeling to my frozen fingertips inspiration struck. Soup! More specifically cabbage soup. A quick dash to the grocery and I was soon busy chopping cabbage, onion, celery, and carrots to add to 2 quarts of beef stock. As the vetables cooked I add a quart of tomato sauce and a quart of tomatoes. Next I trimmed the fat from the brisket, diced the meat into small cubes and added them to the pot. The addition of a little thyme, black pepper, and salt had the soup well on its way to becoming a meal. After simmering for a couple of hours it was ready to eat.

Since the brisket was quite large I used a large head of cabbage and with all the other ingredients we had a rather large pot of soup. After eating more than we should have we still had quite a lot remaining. Hope took the remainder and divided it into two large freezer bowls. One was placed in the freezer and the other we had for supper last night. I think it definitely could be classified as good eats.

Opa, that sounds delicious. I got up this morning and put a beef roast in the slow cooker with red wine, beef stock, and some herbs. At lunch I added potatos, carrots, onions, and mushrooms. Since I work late tonight that means we can have a hot meal without any additional prep time other than converting the juices to a sauce.

Since I work late tonight that means we can have a hot meal without any additional prep time other than converting the juices to a sauce.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, tell me how you're going to do that. I don't want to miss any important details.
droolin.gif

Pour off the juices into a pan and simmer on the stove until reduced and the flavor intensifies. If you need more then you can add some beef stock too. A good spice mix to add is Herbes de Provance, sprinkle it in along with some red pepper flakes if you like a little kick, and some fresh ground black pepper. I also add salt in the form of Better than Bullion beef paste, which also helps with the flavor. When it has reduced, add some cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water, pouring in slowly as you stir, then simmer a little longer until the cornstarch thickens. I don't add a lot as I like mine still liquid and not too gelatinous.

Sounds complicated but really very easy - just do everything to your personal taste.

One advantage of having your own thread is that you don't need to feel obligated to talk about chickens and it seems that oft times the primary topic of this thread is food. Since eating is one of my favorite things to do this is a good thing. One meal I plan to make before too much longer is crawfish pie. Not that difficult to make and it's sure worth the effort. Walmart carries frozen crawfishtails so you don't have to go wading to catch your supper.

Crawfish Pie

• 1/2 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes
  • 1 pound crawfish tails
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup water
  • pie dough for 9" pie
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Saute for about 8 minutes, or until golden and wilted. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the crawfish tails and parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes. Dissolve the flour in the water and add to the pan. Stir for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat. Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Place the crust in a 9-inch pie pan and crimp the edges. Pour the crawfish mixture into the pie crust. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the edges of the pie crust are golden. Cool for several minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.

Pour off the juices into a pan and simmer on the stove until reduced and the flavor intensifies. If you need more then you can add some beef stock too. A good spice mix to add is Herbes de Provance, sprinkle it in along with some red pepper flakes if you like a little kick, and some fresh ground black pepper. I also add salt in the form of Better than Bullion beef paste, which also helps with the flavor. When it has reduced, add some cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water, pouring in slowly as you stir, then simmer a little longer until the cornstarch thickens. I don't add a lot as I like mine still liquid and not too gelatinous.

Sounds complicated but really very easy - just do everything to your personal taste.

Sounds easy enough ... I'll definitely try it! I use Better Than Boullion, too, and agree about the taste.

Thanks for the idea!

The soup I made was great! I used all the veggies in a veggie broth and then added quinoa! Delicious! I think the cabbage is a real boost to the flavor!

I visited 37 houses today to remind them to VOTE!
I know one of the Presidential candidates from my years living in Hawaii!
He's a good man.

Back
Top Bottom