Open air coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cheyenne2929, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Cheyenne2929

Cheyenne2929 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    A while back I posted a pic of my parent's old coop behind out horse barn and was told it was an open air type coop. Most of the front of it is wire. The coop has been unused for 20 years other than for storage. I am seriously thinking of tearing all down but the bones and making it a usable coop again. I know there are people who have openish coops like this, but i feel like it is too open. But at the same time, there is plenty of ventilation which i know is very important. I live in Maryland so we get a variety of weather. Up to 100+ in the summer and below freezing in winter, with everything in between. I have a small coop for my 3 girls now and they have no problems with the cold or heat. I know that back when I was a kid there were never any issues with the heat or cold harming my parent's hens who lived in the old coop. It is set in the shade of the barn so is shaded most of the day. Great for summer! I guess it is pretty well protected from wind too. I just know it gets Cold back there!
    What are everyone's thoughts? We are weighing the options of building new in a different area, closer to our house, or using the old coop at the barn. Cost I think will run about the same. Tried to add some pics but my laptop is having none of that tonight!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If the cost would be about the same on new coop where you want it how you want it, vs fixing old coop where it is. I would say new coop where you want it. Unless you think the old coop is in the perfect spot and that is where you would build the new coop anyhow. Then it comes down to which coop do you think the layout for you and the hens would be better / easier so far as food, water, electric etc. If the open air coop concept makes you nervous, as long as there is still adequate ventilation, you can also put on doors etc to close off part of the "open" part if the weather gets really bad.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I live in MD., and I have an open air Wood's style coop. It's a great coop for our area. If your old coop is salvageable, fix it, and put it back in business.

[​IMG]

4. ChookCheeka

ChookCheeka Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    Colorado
    I totally agree with JackE. I've been studying to find best coop design. I've read the book about the Woods style. This is the one we are going to build next spring.

5. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    Here in Northern Florida there are a lot of open-air coops but ours is enclosed. It doesn't snow but the temperature range is not that much different from yours - just more of the hot and less of the cold. Lows not as low but definitely below freezing. Another issue might be predators - harder to keep out and harder to see farther from your house.

I'd say you'll be OK with whatever you do but if you'ree willing to enclose it - that's what I'd do. Make sure you have ventilation and make it big or accessible enough so you can clean it and deal with the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by