Open back wound from dog attack WARNING graphic images

Chicken Chiquita

Animal obsessed :)
Feb 11, 2020
Idaho
My 4 or so year old chicken got attacked by my neighbor's dog about 1 and 1/2 hours ago.
She can walk around now with no problem and is currently eating and drinking just fine.
I've separated her from the others and she will be staying in my garage until she (hopefully) fully recovers.
I've also sprayed her once with the Vetericyn Wound & Skin Care.
I'm concerned with the wound, how deep it might be, how to keep it from getting infected, and how to treat it. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Few questions;
What should I put on this wound and how should I treat it?
What are her chances of surviving?
What should my biggest worries be?
And is there any chance of her pecking at it herself?
Thank you all so much for your time and advice! I really appreciate it!!!❤️
(Sorry about the quality of the pictures)
IMG_20210928_214812.jpg
IMG_20210928_214636.jpg
IMG_20210928_214700.jpg
IMG_20210928_214733.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_214816.jpg
    IMG_20210928_214816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Make sure her wound is thoroughly cleaned, use a wet warm wash cloth dab the wound to clear out particles or dirt. Then spray antiseptic on the wound, let air dry, then put neosporin on a q-tip, apply a heavy layer. Then let her rest. Reapply the neosporin everyday.

You might need to keep her in the garage for a week.

Update- she's doing pretty well and is eating and drinking and walking around fine. I'm spraying her 3 times A day with the Vetericyn but am unsure what else to do yet.
I'll be heading to a supply store in a minute to get Neosporin and whatever other antibiotics I find are recommended.
Any antibiotics or other healing or infection preventing medications y'all would recommend?
What should I be doing daily to make sure she doesn't get infected?

Usually spraying the wound with antiseptic or Vetericyn, and applying plain antibiotic ointment is enough. Since this is day 3, does the wound appear and smell clean? Keep her away from flies, so that maggots don’t infect the wound. If you have a wire dog crate to place her in, you could let her visit with her flock daily.

Usually spraying the wound with antiseptic or Vetericyn, and applying plain antibiotic ointment is enough. Since this is day 3, does the wound appear and smell clean? Keep her away from flies, so that maggots don’t infect the wound. If you have a wire dog crate to place her in, you could let her visit with her flock daily.
She's in a dog crate right now, and we're doing our best to make sure she stays away from flies. She also gets let out on her own for a couple hours every day. I'm too afraid the other chickens will pick at her so I don't let them out together. The wound appears pretty clean but doesn't smell right...

Update- she's doing pretty well and is eating and drinking and walking around fine. I'm spraying her 3 times A day with the Vetericyn but am unsure what else to do yet.
I'll be heading to a supply store in a minute to get Neosporin and whatever other antibiotics I find are recommended.
Any antibiotics or other healing or infection preventing medications y'all would recommend?
What should I be doing daily to make sure she doesn't get infected?
Do not get neosporin with pain killer. Birds and other animals need original neosporin.

That one is fine to use. Does the wound smell bad like it could be infected, or is it swollen? Flushing or cleaning it with Hibiclens/chlorhexidene (from the drugstore) and a little water, or weak Betadine before applying the antibiotic ointment may help. There could be an infection or abscess forming, especially if there is a puncture wound.

Back
Top Bottom