Open floor on dirt with sand?

rfeyer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Johnstown New York
Could I please get some opinions about Coop floor placement in COLD climates (NE):

Building the coop directly on the floor - does it help in temp control?

Or, should coops ALWAYS be raised to some degree?

I see a lot of threads on sand versus pine versus compost floor, but not really anything on sand on dirt floor

Rainer

jensxhens

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
I live in the Uk and very new to chick raising infact mine are six weeks old and spend the very first night in coop. I have used concrete slabs then coverd them in card board and lots of wood chipping my theory is when the coop needs a good clean i get rid of wood chipping and card board and jet wash concrete slabs and walls this makes for lovely clean coop. No idea if this is the right way so hoping and preying it is x I converted a summer house into a chicken coop with a run attached.

rfeyer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Johnstown New York
Interesting and sounds like a great idea - certainly makes it easier (don't you run out of cardboard ever :) )

Still wondering why not directly onto the dirt floor then sand; maybe a problem with intruders?

Rainer

jensxhens

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Cardboard is free you just go to any store and ask for the boxes they usually oblige and if i get any parcels I fold boxes flat blus some times cut card into 1cm squares to bulk out the wood chippings. Concrete floor ... prevention incase any intruders but am hygene freak and feel could no sustain same cleanliness with soil flooring. It is also mu first coop ever sop hoping to minimise fly proplems when summer finally gets to the UKx

Top Bottom