open mouth breathing/gasping.....what is wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cmcdow, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Cmcdow

Cmcdow New Egg

Feb 13, 2008
    My ameracauna "Flo" is open mouth breathing, not really gasping just hard breats really. Then she will make a sound almost like a sneeze/bock bock sound. Sounds throaty kindof. No other symptoms to speak of, she's active, in the yard scratching her little heart out, except her sneeze/bock can be heard all over the yard. I noticed a little string of we'll call it chicken snot, on her beak. Could she just have a cold?

2. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    Mine was acting similar and it turned out to be pneumonia. I would seperate her and medicate only her. My hen weighed 3.2 lbs and the vet told me to mix 1/8 tsp of Aeuromycin with just enough water to dissolve it and give it to her orally with a medicine dropper or syringe. This will ensure she gets adequate medication to treat her. This is just what I am doing. It seems to be working. Unless you give the meds yourself you cannot know how much they are taking in of either the water dissolvable meds or the crumbles.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I don't use antibiotics, so don't use them on my animals. So I am always on the lookout for alternate methods of medication.

We have a hen that was injured as a small chick. When the pollen count is high, she sounds like she has asthma. This recipe for cylone cider seems to help her.
    http://www.seramas.com/cider.html

I also use a q-tip to swab eucalyptus oil on her nostrils. If you think your bird is ill, you should always isolate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by