Operation Dry Hatch

wholewheatchicken: Ok I'll check out his page. Thanks.. I do like the laced polish too. I have thought about getting some later. I just want to get my girls laying my own eggs to hatch so I am praying I have a roo out of the 4 I hatched last week. They are laying now just not fertilized. LOL I want specific colors of the cochins too so I think that makes it harder finding them.

OMG, Kept saying there was a error submitting my reply so I hit submit again and again, so now there are like 4 of the same posts. Really I'm not crazy I promise.
lau.gif

wholewheatchicken: Ok I'll check out his page. Thanks.. I do like the laced polish too. I have thought about getting some later. I just want to get my girls laying my own eggs to hatch so I am praying I have a roo out of the 4 I hatched last week. They are laying now just not fertilized. LOL I want specific colors of the cochins too so I think that makes it harder finding them.

The system must be doing something odd tonight!
What colors of cochin are you trying to raise?
I bought hatching eggs that are in the bator. I got the black and black mottled and the MF.

You said the wide end of the egg. If this egg is sitting with pointed end down, it looks like the peep was almost upside down and I had that happen in my last hatch. It pipped but could not do anymore. I'm not sure but I think they drown in the shell if that happens. Just a freak thing. I've only had the one, ever. Oh, that doesn't look shrink wrapped.

The system must be doing something odd tonight!
What colors of cochin are you trying to raise?
I bought hatching eggs that are in the bator. I got the black and black mottled and the MF.

I have all hens a buff, a blue and 1 of my buffs got killed by a hawk last month. I was just trying to get some other colors and I really like the Mille, Calico, buff columbian, columbian, mottled and silver laced. So just really looking for some other colors.

This may not have to do with the title (Operation Dry Hatch) but there may be some real newbies on here that would like to read this. Back in the day, lol, when most old time farmers had a few of this a and a few of that there was always an old shed somewhere with a bunch our feathered friends. We (our family) had a large lot for them to run in but in the evening we always would let them out to run in the yard and fields just as a special treat. I can remember one time when we had this old barred rock hen and every day she was out of the pen from the other chickens. Dad clipped her wing etc and still she got out. What it was was that she was starting to go broody. After a while dad realized what he thought was happening so one morning he watched her really close and followed her around for a couple of hours till I guess she couldn't wait any longer to lay and she took off out in the field and he followed and found her on her nest in the high weeds. She had already had 8 or 10 eggs in there. Now, after each egg was laid, she would leave the nest until the next day. Those eggs weren't turned until she went the next day to lay her next one. She probably had 15 eggs in there when she started to set. In the early morning hours, we would see her leave the nest when the dew was on the ground and go around picking bits of grass, dirt and bugs. She would go back to the nest and turn her eggs and settle in for a couple or so days till she decided to leave the nest again. Usually every 2 - 4 days. The last couple or so days before the babies started to hatch you couldn't force her off the nest. Dad always said she could hear her babies yeeping in the eggs. Oh my, at the end of the 3 weeks, dad would have a little triangle box thing fixed up and when she came off the nest with the little ones following close behind he would catch her and put her under this little house and have it where the little ones could go in and out but not be dragged to death by the mom. He would leave her under there till the babies were a week or so old then he would just let her run around. Those were the days and the old hens would hatch almost every egg. Sometimes they would set in the nest in the coop so dad would mark every one of her eggs once she started to set then each day he would raise her up and remove any eggs that another hen would go in there an lay if she was off the nest. Gee, writing this is sure bringing back a lot of childhood memories. We had an old mixed dog that stayed with the chickens all the time and when one was out (like this setting hen) he would guard them really close so we never worried about anything getting them. He sure was a good old dog. Just a medium sized Heinz variety but we all loved him just the same.
I hope you folks enjoyed reading this.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom