Operation Dry Hatch

If you saw how I hatched, you wouldn't be counting the chickens!!!!!
barnie.gif

And I have a dozen more that I bought that just hit the sorting center in Cincinnati, Ohio this evening. That is just a twenty minute drive from my house. The pain of having to wait for them to make it to my Post Office
pop.gif

Good luck with your eggs. I have never bought any shipped so I hope I get some out of them.
Are you going to start a hatching thread?
I never do, I just put everything on my web site. lol When I got my first German Line New Hampshire eggs I put it on the New Hampshire thread because I was so excited and hatched 10 out of 12 that made it to lock down. I was tickled about to death. lol I think we are all going through our second childhood with these chickens. ha,ha If you just click on my user name, it will take you to my profile and there you will see the link to my site if you want to look. lol

I think I would call that PO and see if I could go pick them up now. lol

Last edited:
THREEEEE DOZEN !!!!!!! OH My goodness

Hey, what have you been up to? Let's see......you put eggs in on Sunday and it's Thursday....yeah, you might see something, espcially on Yetta's eggs since they are so white. I'm getting worse at keeping up on threads....please send a PM when you post!!!!!! Richard is bringing me home an LG this morning for lockdown. At least it will have room for everyone because there is no way all four dozen could develop and even if they did, there would still be room!!!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
You have to understand my excitement as this is practically the first new, real item he's bought for my incubation........I did get two brand new hygrometers, LOL!
Just two more days to go for the bidding to end on the cochin eggs I want. I have never bid on e-bay so I don't know how their system works, but last night I went through every page looking for them that way and I never did see them. I am watching someone's FB page that posts there what they have on auction. So maybe they're not in a spot where anyone is going to find them
fl.gif
$2 opening bid......he practically gives his eggs away.
Immyjay54...I will look you up on FB and keep up with your hatching. Yes, I agree it brings out something in me, LOL. It is totally fascinating to be able to have a device that heated to the correct temperature and humidity will take something that you eat for breakfast and in 21 days life will emerge from it.....hopefully. I missed the one and only chick I have hatched. She was born at 5:00 in the morning and by the time I got up to see her, she was pretty much out of the shell. My son stayed up all night long to watch the process. I think he's convinced babies are born in the middle of the night.

I don't mess with FB. I use my web site. http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com
To much junk with FB. I started a page but closed everything. I don't know if you will find anything on there or not.
Jim

I love your site...I love your Brahmas. I didn't know how to sign in, but I saw someone from Mt. Vernon, Ohio signed right before I got on. That is close to me.
I am really nervous now about the shipped eggs I received. I know you're telling the truth and I knew it was a gamble, but reading about it up close is giving me panic attacks!
The eggs I had coming today somehow got put on the mail delivery truck so they should be to my house soon. I'm still holding out hope I might grow something from them........

I love your site...I love your Brahmas. I didn't know how to sign in, but I saw someone from Mt. Vernon, Ohio signed right before I got on. That is close to me.
I am really nervous now about the shipped eggs I received. I know you're telling the truth and I knew it was a gamble, but reading about it up close is giving me panic attacks!
The eggs I had coming today somehow got put on the mail delivery truck so they should be to my house soon. I'm still holding out hope I might grow something from them........
Thanks for the nice compliment about my site. I just truly love working on it. Sometimes you will have excellent results with shipped eggs. I received 15 in one batch and on day 18 when I was ready to put them in lock down, 3 were clear so I had 12 in lock down out of the 12, I had 10 hatch, 1 pipped on wrong end of egg so it must have been upside down in shell. It didn't make it and then the last one was fully formed but did nothing. So really that was a super hatch for shipped eggs. Then I had 9 shipped and 6 babies and 8 shipped and 6 babies then I had 18 shipped from Calif to Pa, 12 made it to lock down and 7 hatched. The tossing and turning through the mail really works on them. If I get 3 or 4 out of a dozen shipped eggs I feel pretty good about it. My own eggs are a different story, I usually have 100% with them. Lately I've been having pretty good luck even with the shipped ones. I sort of think that the key is letting them set and get the embryo and air sack settled down good. Don't really know, just a thought.

I just wanted to say that out of 39 eggs set, 6 made it to lockdown. About half were clear and the other half had quitters in them at the 11-18 day stage as the embryos were all at least an inch or so big. One quit later as it was half the shell size. One was white, hmmm, maybe that silkie rooster did get to some hens....

I upped the humidity and they are locked down and due to hatch on Sat. I will be setting up at a fiber fair!

I just wanted to say that out of 39 eggs set, 6 made it to lockdown. About half were clear and the other half had quitters in them at the 11-18 day stage as the embryos were all at least an inch or so big. One quit later as it was half the shell size. One was white, hmmm, maybe that silkie rooster did get to some hens....

I upped the humidity and they are locked down and due to hatch on Sat. I will be setting up at a fiber fair!

I don't know if you like hatching threads, but I have one going and there are a lot of us getting ready to hatch or going into lockdown. Come join us, if you want. It's the set eggs on 3/5 looking for others to join....I think!
If not, good luck.....are you going to be gone on hatch day?

Thanks for the nice compliment about my site. I just truly love working on it. Sometimes you will have excellent results with shipped eggs. I received 15 in one batch and on day 18 when I was ready to put them in lock down, 3 were clear so I had 12 in lock down out of the 12, I had 10 hatch, 1 pipped on wrong end of egg so it must have been upside down in shell. It didn't make it and then the last one was fully formed but did nothing. So really that was a super hatch for shipped eggs. Then I had 9 shipped and 6 babies and 8 shipped and 6 babies then I had 18 shipped from Calif to Pa, 12 made it to lock down and 7 hatched. The tossing and turning through the mail really works on them. If I get 3 or 4 out of a dozen shipped eggs I feel pretty good about it. My own eggs are a different story, I usually have 100% with them. Lately I've been having pretty good luck even with the shipped ones. I sort of think that the key is letting them set and get the embryo and air sack settled down good. Don't really know, just a thought.

I truly see what you mean as of today. I had some come in the mail and the air cells look pretty rough. They are huge and wobbly all over the place. I figured the best I could do now was to get them into the egg cartons and let them rest and reorient. I think I will probably incubate in an egg crate too to keep the air cell in place. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else to do. There are fourteen so maybe I can get enough going to pair up with the ones I have now to make breeders. Have already started contacting others just in case to continue my search of eggs. I like these little things too much to give up.
But the ones I received yesterday, they look like I picked them up out of my backyard. I have never bought eggs so now I see what an excellent method is and will be more particular about the packaging before I buy. Just have to say it's a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom