1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Operation Nugg-Nugg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicky0chica, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chicky0chica

chicky0chica New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Beavercreek, OH
    Hopefully I'm doing this right! I just got a chicks 2 of 4 breeds (Amerucanas, Bard Rock, Brahmas, and Buff Orpingtons). I'm not sure how old they are could anyone guestimate? I've noticed a couple panting so I've unplugged the heat lamp for now... they are living in my bedroom for now so they're living like royalty and won't be too cold? How old should they be or what should they look like before I remove it completely?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Your birds look under two weeks to me. I think they still need a little heat but I'm not sure warm you keep your house. Chicks need to be provided with heat until fully feathered - yours still look like they have quite a bit of down. The brooder they are in should be large enough so that they can move into and out of the warmth as they need to. This and many other questions can answered in the following link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    Also, if you'd like to visit with some local poultry folks, find your state thread in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chicky0chica [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great starting points from redsoxs, I will just wish you and your adorable little ones all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do they have an area in the brooder away from the heat lamp, so they can cool off if needed?

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

ETA: for what its worth, I brood chicks indoors and I remove the heat source at 10 days. Since the brooder is in your bedroom, you will be able to hear them chirping if they are too cold. I acclimatise them to this by turning the heat source off for increasingly longer periods from day 5 onwards.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by