Opinion on Farm Tractors

twentynine

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Gonna take a chance here. I assume some of you guys actually have machinery.

Currently I have a small compact tractor a Yanmar YM2000 grey trade. Looking to up grade, get something with a front end loader, 4wd, you know the stuff that really helps with the heavy lifting.

Keeping the shopping to local dealers, so I am at JD, mahindra, Kubota, Montanna and grey trade Yanmar.

I eliminated grey trade Yanmar and the Montanna for lack of parts and dealership support.

Haven't shopped JD yet.

This is what I have so far

Kubota L-2800 4wd, front end loader, gear (not hydrostatic), 5' woods HD bush hog, 5' woods HD disc---$15,009

Mahindra 2816 4wd, front end loader, gear, 5' Mahindra MD bush hog, 5' generic disc---$16,350 (maybe a little discount yet)

So what do you guys think?

Tell me the good and the bad. Talk me into it or talk me out of it.

**ducks4you is SSOOO JEALOUS!!!!***
droolin.gif
I can't afford to buy a tractor, right now--
hit.gif

(I'm subscribing to this, so I can see what everybody ELSE Has and be even MORE JEALOUS!!!!!)
somad.gif

Last edited:
I would go with a more common brand and that makes machinery for larger farms, not just the casual backyard or gentleman farm. I have found it to more convenient if you need work done on your machine or if you need parts. I would also hope that quality is better. Go bigger than you think you need. You will appreciate the extra power and capacity. Make sure the tractor is powerful to operate the attachments. A five foot bush hog in heavy weeds will bog down.

Many people swear by John Deere but others say you are paying for the paint. I have a Massey-Ferguson that I am happy with.

I am not familiar with the Mahindra. Kubota doesn't seem like a bad tractor. John Deere you will pay for.

Weve always had Massey Fergusons, and couldnt be more satisfied with them. JD is like dacjohns said you pay for the paint and the name. The parts are usually much higher for JDs. Out of the ones youve mentioned Id go with the Kubota.

Sit in each brand you're considering. When we were looking for a tractor, the kubota had the least amount of cab space, pretty clostraphobic inside there. John Deere you'll pay for, and can still have plenty of problems (we know plenty of people who have JD & have their fair share of issues even from brand new). Mahindra isn't around us so can't comment on that one. We personally have a New Holland (go blue!!
tongue.png
) With heat and air in the cab. Like I said, sit in each one and drive it. That's what we did and we love our tractor
big_smile.png
Good luck!!!!

From your options the Kubota is your best bet but I have a question or two......

Is it big enough to do everything you will need it to do in 10 years? Unless you have thousands of acres you should never need more than 1 tractor. Buying one tractor is trading income for less work. Then you go get a second becouse you can an it saves you that much more work. At some point you find your self in a big tractor cab growing a belly an wondering why you no longer can make ends meet. When you could sell all your tractors but say one. Have to spend another day a week on that tractor but be making a profit again.

No cabs on these tractors! 25hp at the PTO.
14 acres of total ground. 40hp tractor would be to big to access areas between tree plantings.
Main attraction is cutting speed, front end loader plus 4wd.
In 30+ years I have had 3 tractors starting with a 1951 8n progressing to a 1965 Ford 2000 then in 1998 graduating to a 1975 Yanmar 2000.
I fully understand about buying equipment once, but when you are raising kids paying home and car notes a 10 or 12 grand tractor don't come in high on the list. It is easy to profess a get one for all time policy. But it is not very easy to apply that policy when groceries have to come first.
Profit? While we all have that gleem in our eye, I am under no dilusion that my "farm" is nothing but a hobby. So why not make it an easier hobby with a little better equipment, that as of this moment I can afford!

Hey pardon the previous, I am home cooped up in the house with the flu. Man I am going nuts.

We have a 4 wheel drive Kubota tractor and are quite satisfied with it. But MY favorite is my little "Bobkitty". It's a 3 ft or so wide Bobcat skidloader with a bucket. It's very agile, can get in to clean horse stalls and into yards easily. Fits me just so. I can practically spin on a dime. We also have a larger Bobcat, but my Bobkitty is the best.
Slinky

Update and correction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prices I posted the price on the Kubota and since that time have come to understand that the price includes the tractor and front end loader. The bush hog and the disc would be an additional $3000.

The Mahindra price is all inclusive.

Got a price on a JD 3230 or a 3032 (get them numbers crossed up). A little bit over $17,000 for tractor and loader.

Back
Top Bottom