Opinions - day 22

Jlreay

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
It’s day 22. 6/7 have successfully hatched. I can’t hear anything, see movement and I did water candle, but no movement. Air sac looks ruptured?

Attachments

• IMG_8138.jpeg
    IMG_8138.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8139.jpeg
    IMG_8139.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 9
My guess is that this egg is a quitter. With ones that look like this, I carefully open it enough to be able to touch the chick under the membrane to see if there's any movement (usually, there isn't), and by doing so, I can determine if it's still alive. If it turns out that it is still alive, that's usually not promising because the chick, ideally, should already have internally pipped - but you can re-cap the egg with shell (I've also used transparent tape) and put it back in the incubator to see if it will hatch.

Best of luck and congratulations on your hatch!

My guess is that this egg is a quitter. With ones that look like this, I carefully open it enough to be able to touch the chick under the membrane to see if there's any movement (usually, there isn't), and by doing so, I can determine if it's still alive. If it turns out that it is still alive, that's usually not promising because the chick, ideally, should already have internally pipped - but you can re-cap the egg with shell (I've also used transparent tape) and put it back in the incubator to see if it will hatch.

Best of luck and congratulations on your hatch!
Thanks for the reply!

I did end up opening it and it was deceased. It had internally pipped, but had a severe cross-beak and was missing an eye, so probably for the best

Back
Top Bottom