Opinions on best egg layers

Funny you say that. When I was a young kid we had chickens, and we had the roosters and hens separated, but a couple times a day a few roosters would manage to make it into the hen pen, or they would try to attack us, and we had a broom that was the "attitude adjuster." After a couple years of swatting them with that, they ran when we just reached for it, and were much better from then on. Haha.

I've found the Delaware to be friendliest of chickens. But, what do I know? I just saw pictures of four totally domesticated leghorns. In my opinion, they're the flightiest birds ever.

Lucky you! My Delawares give new meaning to "pecking order"! They are SOOO MEAN to my other hens...(Reds and Araucanas)! I have new chicks and I am terrified about the time that I will have to be introducing them to the flock! As far as Leghorns go, I traded my for my Reds due to the noise! Lol! I guess chickens are like kids...never know what yer gonna get!
fl.gif

Yes, you're right, they're just like kids! But, I must say I've been very lucky. My five Delawares are in the same chicken house with 5 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Leghorns, 6 Barred Rocks, 5 White Rocks, and 5 Golden Comets. Every one of them is harmonious with the others.

It wasn't the same when I had seven roosters with them, though. I got rid of 7 roosters and just kept one. This has made all the difference in the world.

Enjoy your chickens!
They're great therapists and much cheaper than a shrink.

I read that black australorp holds record for brown egg laying at 364 in a year and leghorn holds record for white egg laying (as mentioned by another member) at 371 in a year

Forget the records. One bird, one time decades and decades and decades ago. The generic "you" won't get any chicken that will naturally lay an egg every day for a year. Not even with 14 hours of light every day of the year.

Lucky you! My Delawares give new meaning to "pecking order"! They are SOOO MEAN to my other hens...(Reds and Araucanas)! I have new chicks and I am terrified about the time that I will have to be introducing them to the flock! As far as Leghorns go, I traded my for my Reds due to the noise! Lol! I guess chickens are like kids...never know what yer gonna get!
fl.gif

You most likely do not have Araucanas. Look up the breed. Also look up Ameraucana, they are a DIFFERENT breed. Lunch says you have Easter Eggers. GREAT birds but they are not a recognized breed. The only way you have Araucanas is if you bought them from a breeder, not a hatchery and not at the local farm store.

It is not at all useful that many many places, including hatcheries, selling EEs list them as Ameraucana and/or Araucana. One local feed store listing Ameraucana/Araucana had "also known as Easter Eggers" on their order form.

Last edited:
It's no wonder that there is so much confusion, when the hatcheries present false information. If customers took them to task for mis-representing their breeds, perhaps they'd change their tune.

I tried RIR's but they were just too aggressive.Their dead now (The heat killed them.)Grandmother has forbidden them....

idunno.gif
the heat killed them? What is your setup?

It gets to 100+ degrees here and as long as the RIRs have some shade and water, they're fine. RIR really aren't an aggressive breed.

Back
Top Bottom