Opinions on mouse control

We have a big mouse problem around here because the neighbors feed the birds all year round. They actually chewed a hole in my cars gas tank! They destroy everything. :mad:

We use a combination of snap traps, ketch all traps & bucket traps. We have had the most success with the ketch all wind up traps, & though it is a live trap, we drown them once caught. No mercy on those little &^$(#@ - game on when they started destroying my stuff!

(I would LOVE a barn cat but outdoor cats don't survive around here long, unfortunately)

The thing about not being able to afford a treadle feeder is that you are already paying for the feeder without having the benefits of saving feed from waste and rodents. If your budget is stretched they start at $36.00 for one of the guillotine style feeders made out of galvanized steel, with some of the same type made, made in China out of aluminum (not good at all) can be gotten for $55.00 including the shipping. As a last resort, make one out of wood until you can scratch up the money for a good one.

Bringing feed inside just makes the mice eat during the day. Your best bet is to feed twice per day, around an eighth of a pound per per bird each time.

As far as trying to make a coop rodent proof, very expensive and time consuming to pull that off, might work if the coop and run is always closed off and you watch for holes being chewed. Trapping and poison work for a few times and the rodents get smart and avoid both. Good luck!

The thing about not being able to afford a treadle feeder is that you are already paying for the feeder without having the benefits of saving feed from waste and rodents. If your budget is stretched they start at $36.00 for one of the guillotine style feeders made out of galvanized steel, with some of the same type made, made in China out of aluminum (not good at all) can be gotten for $55.00 including the shipping. As a last resort, make one out of wood until you can scratch up the money for a good one.

Bringing feed inside just makes the mice eat during the day. Your best bet is to feed twice per day, around an eighth of a pound per per bird each time.

As far as trying to make a coop rodent proof, very expensive and time consuming to pull that off, might work if the coop and run is always closed off and you watch for holes being chewed. Trapping and poison work for a few times and the rodents get smart and avoid both. Good luck!
The cheapest treadle feeder I found was $250

Are you in the U.S.? Just Google treadle feeder or ratproof chicken feeder, much less than that. Just stay off Amazon, those are mostly chinese knockoffs, tons of fake reviews, and not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom