Opinions on these 3 backyard mix roosters?

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
There are several photos, only 4 roos.
They hatched under a broody last spring 2019.
Roo at the time (their dad) was 1/2 creamleg bar, 1/2 EE.
Any ideas what moms are? (choices: Welsummer, EE, silver laced Wyandotte, splash maran)

1 and 2. "Mukluks"- he's been a good boy so far. Guessing he is from my splash maran (who oddly didn't have feathered feet!)
3,4 and 5 "Rainbow"- not sure who his momma is? He was my 1st choice but is very rough on the hens.
6 and 7. Wellie- he looked just like a welsummer when he hatched out- so I'm assuming he is 1/2 welsummer.
7. Snowman- I was assuming he was 1/2 wyandotte because he is black and white. He is shy- hard to get a non-burry shot.

All have big beards and muffs.

I know they are all mutts, but if anyone could give me opinions? I would like to breed the best roo.
I would like two roos, ideally who will offer different egg colours....I am into egg colours....
I wont be insulted or offended if you guys think they are ugly mutts that shouldn't be bred. LOL
Who is most likely to give me olive eggs? blue eggs? brown eggs?
Are feathered feet dominant? I dont mind them, either way I dont care.
I do like the beards and muffs but they all have them.

Attachments

• IMG_4239.jpg
    IMG_4239.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4021-1.jpg
    IMG_4021-1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4058.jpg
    IMG_4058.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4012.jpg
    IMG_4012.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I think they are all gorgeous. :love

I think you are correct in your assumptions that the first one is likely Marans (especially because of the feathered feet) and the last one being Wyandotte, though he might not be.

The third one could possibly be Welsummer too but Easter Egger chicks can be chipmunk colored too so chick color isn’t necessarily a for sure thing and it could be hard to know if he’s part Welsummer or EE. That said though, he looks quite a lot like my purebred Welsummer cockerel so I would say that you are correct in thinking he is part Welsummer. Especially with his bigger comb.

The second rooster looks just like my Easter Egger cockerel I had so I would say he is mostly Easter Egger.

They are all gorgeous. :love

Awe, thanks! I am super happy that you guys like my roos. I wish I could have 4 flocks.
ok, I'm glad you think that maybe Im on the right track with my guessing on parentage.
I am looking forward to see what results I get this year.

Awe, thanks! I am super happy that you guys like my roos. I wish I could have 4 flocks.
ok, I'm glad you think that maybe Im on the right track with my guessing on parentage.
I am looking forward to see what results I get this year.
I know how you feel!! I hatched some chicks out in November and ended up with 8 cockerels out of 9 chicks :th wish I could have kept them all lol but definitely couldn’t. :lau still have 2 of them plus the one girl LOL

There are several photos, only 4 roos.
They hatched under a broody last spring 2019.
Roo at the time (their dad) was 1/2 creamleg bar, 1/2 EE.
Any ideas what moms are? (choices: Welsummer, EE, silver laced Wyandotte, splash maran)

1 and 2. "Mukluks"- he's been a good boy so far. Guessing he is from my splash maran (who oddly didn't have feathered feet!)
3,4 and 5 "Rainbow"- not sure who his momma is? He was my 1st choice but is very rough on the hens.
6 and 7. Wellie- he looked just like a welsummer when he hatched out- so I'm assuming he is 1/2 welsummer.
7. Snowman- I was assuming he was 1/2 wyandotte because he is black and white. He is shy- hard to get a non-burry shot.

All have big beards and muffs.

I know they are all mutts, but if anyone could give me opinions? I would like to breed the best roo.
I would like two roos, ideally who will offer different egg colours....I am into egg colours....
I wont be insulted or offended if you guys think they are ugly mutts that shouldn't be bred. LOL
Who is most likely to give me olive eggs? blue eggs? brown eggs?
Are feathered feet dominant? I dont mind them, either way I dont care.
I do like the beards and muffs but they all have them.
Wow beautiful Roos, I really love Minky😍

Back
Top Bottom