Opinions on winterizing my coop? Picts

Hi, welcome to BYC -- can I suggest you start this as a *new* thread, because with resurrecting a 2 yr old thread you will find that 90% of the replies will be to the (now long-gone) original poster, not to YOU
wink.png

Quote:
Having the popdoor open during the day is not a problem. You will want to close it at night but you'd be better off with it closed at night year-round, anyhow. If it is on the N or W side of the coop you may need to set up arrangements to keep the worst of the wind out, as per the original thread here.

You will still need VENTILATION open all winter, however. The popdoor is not enough, nor are little cracks and gaps. Check out my ventilation page (link in .sig below) for some suggestions. If you do not have ventilation, even at night, you will get a very humid coop which will cause frostbite even at fairly mild temperatures. Whereas chickens are quite cold hardy provided you can keep the air DRY (and draft-free - see aforementioned webpage)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Hey live in northern Indiana as well. My father and I have made a coop/work area. Half coop and half his wprk area. We have used insulation and covered the entire run due to chciken hawks who think they are getting a good meal. Wea re still getting the finsihing touches done. I can not seem to understand though ,"How do you have air holes for ventilation in the winter?" Can someone please tell me that.
Quote:

Hi, welcome to BYC brwneggs! Can I suggest that next time you have a question you might start a NEW thread for it, because when you tack your Q onto the end an old, old one like this I can guarantee that most of the new replies will be to the original question at the top of the thread rather than yours
wink.png
(I even did that, before rechecking date, and ended up having to delete a buncha stuff I wrote
tongue.png
)

Quote:
See my ventilation and cold coop pages (link in .sig below).

I am not sure if you are asking about the coop or the run, but, really either way it is as simple as "leave some openings". Honest.

I realize that many peoples' first impulse is to do like a house and shut things up real tight to "keep in the chickens' body heat" or heat from some electrical appliance you plan on using, but shutting things up tight like that is a RECIPE for frostbite. High humidity produces frostbite at really-quite-mild temperatures; chickens (most breeds, anyhow) can withstand considerable cold as long as the air is DRY, which will only happen with good sanitation and good ventilation.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

We have also been debating on our chicken coop for the winter. We have decided on a water heater and food feeder so they can eat more. They are eating a lot more
as they have just started laying eggs. We also were thinking of covering half of the wired front with plexiglass from snow. We are in the Sierra Nevada's and average about 8' snow load during the year. We are prepared with a roof over the coop and run that you would have on your house.
The girls are not insulated, but we have 5. 3 golden sex linx and 2 silver laced wyodettes. Both are cold hardy. We have sealed in the gaps around the doors and openings, but wondering if we should insulate or not. the door to the coop is open always into the run, and have discussed, just closing that off.
We have decided against the heat lamp for fear that the power goes out and then they would get too cold, too quick.
It's just plywood keeping them from the elements and possibly some plexiglass or tarp or something from the snow.
any help would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom